Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Uconnect 18.43.01 OTA Update

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
One annoying thing I've noticed, since the update... Every few days, the climate control presents In the full foot position.

I always drive with the air out of the dash vents, and I'm the only one who drives the car.

Right after the update, the air was in this position and I had to reset it, to the dash.

Never happened before the update.

Annoying...

Bob
Riverside, California

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Hey @BULL,

Thanks for tagging us! If anyone is having concerns with the OTA update, please send our team a private message with your VIN and mileage so that we can have it documented.

Darlene
Dodge Cares

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
PM sent !

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My truck keeps presenting me with a notification screen saying it will update after I shut it off, but then it doesn't actually do anything...

I'm stuck on what seems like a really old revision too...

20191025_174430.jpg

Lilschmied

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nowhereville
State
Non-US
Country
United States
[RANT]

Odd thing is that the 3G icon has been on, solid, for over a month. I don't have a wifi subscription, but it was on, every time I started the car. I assume the software was being downloaded, over this period of time.

Some people said this 3G icon is a phone connection status, but not so much. 4 bars, 4gLTE, here... everywhere I drive, locally. Besides, it would indicate 3G status, even though the phone was nowhere near the car.

Now that the update is installed, the icon is gone and the bars icon is greyed out.

I wonder if there's a way to disable the cell antenna? I'll never use the assistance, or panic button and who cares about updates? I don't even use the maps and that's not what's being updated, anyway.

Just too risky, to gamble on these damned updates, because something new always breaks. I feel like I dodged a bullet, with this one.

Sad thing is, they completely disable audio, on the radio, and push the update screen to pop up, EVERY time you hit a soft key, until the update is installed. This really sucks.

Where is the opt-out form, UConnect?

Geezzzz.

Bob
Riverside, California

[/RANT]
On a message board somewhere there was user that built a little faraday cage around a resistor on the back of their radio to block the cell signal. If I remember right they still managed to get a single bar of signal if they were close to a tower.

From what I've seen you can't turn off the cell antenna in these radios, just try and block the signal. And to your other point, no that 3g icon has nothing to do with your phone.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
So I don't subscribe to anything but Sirius. I don't have UConnect squat, never will on this one, and did not order this one with a NAV. I had it out all last weekend and last night. For that matter since last January, it has never told me about any updates. I am very happy don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone touching it until I break it. Mine has not indicated anything about an update. I see it still has indication of cell reception, wonder why it has not gone down the same dark road as I am reading above?

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
On a message board somewhere there was user that built a little faraday cage around a resistor on the back of their radio to block the cell signal. If I remember right they still managed to get a single bar of signal if they were close to a tower.

From what I've seen you can't turn off the cell antenna in these radios, just try and block the signal. And to your other point, no that 3g icon has nothing to do with your phone.
Yeah... it's time to comb through the manual and figure this out. I don't need useless updates... or worse, updates that may compromise my vehicle safety and/or performance.

...and yeah, I've tried to explain to people the 3g icon has nothing to do with the phone, but it doesn't sink in. LOL

Bob
Riverside, California

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My truck keeps presenting me with a notification screen saying it will update after I shut it off, but then it doesn't actually do anything...

I'm stuck on what seems like a really old revision too...
When you go to the Uconnect site does it say there is an update for your vehicle ?

I was only getting the notification when I turned the Cat off with the door closed & had to press an 'accept' button on the screen to get the process started.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle

Well, I spent about 2 hours combing through the service manual. Here's what I found on the cell issue:

If you disconnect the cell antenna connection, you will piss off HAL9000 and get a code.

The cell signal comes into the radio at C1, Pin 1 (signal) and Pin 2, Shield (ground).

Under TROUBLESHOOTING the cell network, you are told to use a 10K ohm resistor, in place of the cell antenna, when testing the car and unplugging the antenna. This leads me to believe that the load of the cell antenna is around 10K ohms. Theoretically, if at radio connector C1, Pin 1 were to become disconnected and a 10K ohm resistor fell into parallel between Pin 1 and Pin 2, the cell would become effectively disabled.
No need for a Faraday anything, and no code.

The cell antenna, in a premium audio equipped vehicle, is embedded into the roof mounted antenna package, so you can't isolate it, there. It has to be done, at the radio.

This is purely an informational exercise as a result of my research. Take it for what it's worth.

Bob

Last edited:

Lilschmied

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nowhereville
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Well, I spent about 2 hours combing through the service manual. Here's what I found on the cell issue:

If you disconnect the cell antenna connection, you will piss off HAL9000 and get a code.

The cell signal comes into the radio at C1, Pin 1 (signal) and Pin 2, Shield (ground).

Under TROUBLESHOOTING the cell network, you are told to use a 10K ohm resistor, in place of the cell antenna, when testing the car and unplugging the antenna. This leads me to believe that the load of the cell antenna is around 10K ohms. Theoretically, if at radio connector C1, Pin 1 were to become disconnected and a 10K ohm resistor fell into parallel between Pin 1 and Pin 2, the cell would become effectively disabled.
No need for a Faraday anything, and no code.

The cell antenna, in a premium audio equipped vehicle, is embedded into the roof mounted antenna package, so you can't isolate it, there. It has to be done, at the radio.

This is purely an informational exercise as a result of my research. Take it for what it's worth.

Bob
You can install a resistor, but that little thing will still pick up some cell service. Without it you get a service 911 system error. I added a resistor to my 200 radio when I swapped to a nav radio from the 5 inch. The faraday cage was to prevent any cell signal from reaching the radio. If you're out in a rural area it's probably not needed, but in more densely populated areas where we have lots of towers it will help reduce the signal just that little bit extra. Cell service gets everywhere you don't want it and very seldom where you need it. :) That's not to say people haven't had success disbaling their cellular with what you mentioned, just my personal experience.

ofdfiremedic

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I got mine OTA a few days ago, nothing noticeable on it as well, it is the current version.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I got mine OTA a few days ago, nothing noticeable on it as well, it is the current version.
Does your AM/FM radio still work ?

ofdfiremedic

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Does your AM/FM radio still work ?
No problems here that I can identify yet hopefully I'm lucky for once LOL

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I received an email saying something about the update, but as of yet, nothing.

OP
jroyk

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Thread Starter #55
I received an email saying something about the update, but as of yet, nothing.
From what I can tell, it doesn’t do anything you’d notice. Maybe it just lays the groundwork for a future update that does do something. [dunno]

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I just received this email. Is this the 18.43.01 OTA update? It says if not updated it may result in GPS coordinates calculating incorrectly? FDAD7DF4-C750-4899-A138-74FBAE9EB002.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
jroyk

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Thread Starter #57
Here's the TSB. Seems necessary for nav to function on older Mopars (pre '17 and some '17s).

Attachments

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I got mine on Wednesday and thus far no issues like reported here.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Got a call from Uconnect the other day. It was about how I'd (probably) drive into a lake and die if the nav wasn't updated. Then it got interesting.

I told the lady that I'd never tried using the nav on my '14 Ram 1500, and never paid for it. If it even has that option.
Also that my '17 Ram 3500 doesn't have a touch screen (thank God for being able to order them that way), so definitely it wasn't about that one.
That left the '18 Challenger, which may have nav.

She couldn't tell which vehicle it would be for, but that if one came with it, it'd only be good for one year. Now were down to zero vehicles. But, then I realized that it could be about my girlfriend's '19 Challenger or '19 Ram 3500. Well, neither one was ordered with nav.

I may put a piece of aluminum foil over a few antennae, just in case.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I may put a piece of aluminum foil over a few antennae, just in case.

Read post 49 ;)

Bob
Riverside, California