Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What good is a EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Problem with that is it’s based on the premise of a sudden overnight disappearance of ICE vehicles, and that’s not happening. The single most recurring comment/argument against EV’s is always about how the current infrastructure wouldnt be able to handle it if the amount of EV’s suddenly matched or replaced the amount of current ICE vehicles. That is just not realistic. Gas powered vehicles are still being built. Millions are still on the road. By the time the pendulum swings the other way (long after we’re gone) infrastructure will also be forced to be modified and developed along the way. Don't ask me how, I‘m not debating how. I’m just thinking back to when gas powered automobiles were first built way back when. Probably no range, gas stations? Prob not even an option then. But over time it caught on and it became mainstream, infrastructure and all. Obviously a different era but to me the concept remains the same. 50-75 years from now infrastructure will be fine if EV’s really catch on. Especially if the government can profit from it. But it won’t need to power millions and millions of vehicles for a long time.
And there is NO way I'll be around in 50-75 years....so I got that goin for me...which is nice...i think

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
And there is NO way I'll be around in 50-75 years....so I got that goin for me...which is nice...i think
you never know. If you keep eating your greens, anything is possible. The grouper sandwich may help too:unsure:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Well, duh. They're taking advantage of the time periods when solar and wind are at their peaks.
I bet if I bring that up next time, they will jump right on it and applaud themselves for thinking of it.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
you never know. If you keep eating your greens, anything is possible. The grouper sandwich may help too:unsure:
Oh dear god...please don't let it be in my current body. I feel like a 1976 Pacer now.

pacer.jpeg

I have something sleeker and lighter in mind for the next go around.

80s aerobics.gif

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
To answer your thread title question, "ABSOLUTELY NUTHIN'!!!!!!!!!!!" as Edwin Starr once said...

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Look at the bright side, At least you can’t end it all with a hose from the tail pipe to the cabin when your told you need a new battery and it’s warranty just expired last week 😂

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #28
To answer your thread title question, "ABSOLUTELY NUTHIN'!!!!!!!!!!!" as Edwin Starr once said...
You get it!

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
I got a couple of gas ice augers you can
Buy.

Nobody uses gas ice augers anymore.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #31

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Now this kind of EV would interest me!!

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
This conversation is great, but has a somewhat myopic view. Don't get me wrong... I get caught up in the same talking points. However, to have true mass appeal and replacement numbers, EV's need to be JUST as capable.

They're not.

They never will be.

Sure, you have your commuter cars and some motorcycles, but what about travel? Outbacking (think you'll see a charging station, in the wilderness?). Criss country, or long haul trips will be a joke. Drive. Charge. Drive. Charge. We'll go back to taking a month, to travel cross country. Irritating, to even consider.

What about long haul trucking? Forget it. Soupy chain issues... can you imagine? "Sorry... our driver is charging his truck. He'll be there in a few days". Bollocks.

The reality is that they will ultimately become a tool of control. They already don't want you to travel and are creating more "wildland" space, that you cannot access. So, get ready for your 40 mile range commuter.

Also, nobody is addressing temperature extremes. Batteries shit the bed, at temperature extremes. Range drops through the floor. Charging times increase. They haven't solved that, yet. Sure, great for moderate climates, but what about humid, heat soak, or Northern chill temps?

This is more Agenda21, Agenda2030 nonsense and they've created a culture of dullards, to buy into it.

Hang on to your hats and glasses, this here is the wildest ride, in the West...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
This conversation is great, but has a somewhat myopic view. Don't get me wrong... I get caught up in the same talking points. However, to have true mass appeal and replacement numbers, EV's need to be JUST as capable.

They're not.

They never will be.

Sure, you have your commuter cars and some motorcycles, but what about travel? Outbacking (think you'll see a charging station, in the wilderness?). Criss country, or long haul trips will be a joke. Drive. Charge. Drive. Charge. We'll go back to taking a month, to travel cross country. Irritating, to even consider.

What about long haul trucking? Forget it. Soupy chain issues... can you imagine? "Sorry... our driver is charging his truck. He'll be there in a few days". Bollocks.

The reality is that they will ultimately become a tool of control. They already don't want you to travel and are creating more "wildland" space, that you cannot access. So, get ready for your 40 mile range commuter.

Also, nobody is addressing temperature extremes. Batteries shit the bed, at temperature extremes. Range drops through the floor. Charging times increase. They haven't solved that, yet. Sure, great for moderate climates, but what about humid, heat soak, or Northern chill temps?

This is more Agenda21, Agenda2030 nonsense and they've created a culture of dullards, to buy into it.

Bravo!!

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB

They're not.

They never will be.

Amen brother! Told my wife basically the same thing. When an EV can do all the things my ICE vehicles can then maybe I’ll consider it.

As I’ve brought up before, all this hype about the F150 Lightening but you never hear anything about how far it can tow a 5000 lb trailer. I guess if all you’re using it for is a commuter vehicle that’s fine. But it doesn’t have the capabilities of a real truck unless you want to spend a lot of time at the charging station.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

They're not.

They never will be.

I really wish they would angle it as the 2nd car in the household.
The car you use to pick the kids up from school or drive to work etc.

I think you would get more buy in from the American public.

Then again, the Hummer EV and Ford Lightning seem to be huge hits.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Amen brother! Told my wife basically the same thing. When an EV can do all the things my ICE vehicles can then maybe I’ll consider it.

As I’ve brought up before, all this hype about the F150 Lightening but you never hear anything about how far it can tow a 5000 lb trailer. I guess if all you’re using it for is a commuter vehicle that’s fine. But it doesn’t have the capabilities of a real truck unless you want to spend a lot of time at the charging station.
Many use trucks as family haulers. They don't cost as much as a full size SUV but they ride just as nice and have tons of leg/head room.

I was racing when I bought my first Ram. So for 2 years I actually used it to tow. Then sold the race cars and it basically because a family hauler. A bed cap/cover gives tons of extra storage space.
I think I read somewhere that half of half ton trucks are used in this manner. If not road tripping or towing long distances, a Lightning is a pretty cool option for a daily.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Many use trucks as family haulers. They don't cost as much as a full size SUV but they ride just as nice and have tons of leg/head room.

I was racing when I bought my first Ram. So for 2 years I actually used it to tow. Then sold the race cars and it basically because a family hauler. A bed cap/cover gives tons of extra storage space.
I think I read somewhere that half of half ton trucks are used in this manner. If not road tripping or towing long distances, a Lightning is a pretty cool option for a daily.
I agree. I don’t use my truck for towing much but when I do I want the truck to be able to get the job done. It’s one of the reasons I got the Hemi and didn’t consider the V6. I’m guessing for most people it’ll be fine….until it isn’t 🤔

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City