Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What was your "drivers ed" car?

71SixPack

Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
CO
Country
United States
Damn, in 66 that was serious ****. What was the speed, if you don't mind my asking (feel free to tell me to mind my own business)

Glad you made it.
Closing speed was probably around 50 mph. It was at one of those old “Y” intersections at the edge of town. I was inbound, drunk was outbound. I was already decelerating and hit the brakes just before impact. I was wearing the seatbelt. Drunk wasn’t. But we both survived. That Chevy was a tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Just like with all my other classes in HS , I didn't pay attention so I don't remember what the car was in DE.
I was already driving to school in my own car that my dad gave me when I was taking DE :LOL:.
When we went out to drive & it was my turn , the teacher could tell I was already a good driver & asked me about it & I told him that I drive to school everyday , he laughed & said get in the back & let everybody else practice then. I didn't get to practice drive much after that so I just went for the ride.
My 1st car in HS was a Burgundy 73 Cutlass Supreme , 350 Rocket engine , power seats , windows & door locks. It was my dads car handed down to me & of course I tuned it up & flipped the air cleaner lid & put bigger wheels ( Cragar SS ) & tires on it. Pretty nice & fast for a 1st car.
1587836779839.png 1587836751047.png
Pics from internet , but it's identical to mine.

Last edited:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Would have been some early 70's four door in class. Did most of my early driving in a '67 Impala 4dr 327 4 bbl, and a '72 Charger 318ci.

Do they still do Drivers Ed in schools? Never would think so as bad as these idiots are driving now.
I don't think they do. Been years since I've seen a car with a "Student Driver" sign.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Funny. Second time reading this. Reacted the same way as I did the first time.
Ahh, good memories....

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Ahh, good memories....
Yep , it brings back some good & not so good HS memories LOL.
I don't think it is given in school anymore , but I've seen driving school businesses with their cars driving around. It's pretty funny watching other cars speed around them as they putt along. :LOL:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yep , it brings back some good & not so good HS memories LOL.
I don't think it is given in school anymore , but I've seen driving school businesses with their cars driving around. It's pretty funny watching other cars speed around them as they putt along. :LOL:
I never stay behind them...but when I go around, I use my signal and give them plenty of room. Hoping the instructor will tell the kid.....see...that's how it's done.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I never stay behind them...but when I go around, I use my signal and give them plenty of room. Hoping the instructor will tell the kid.....see...that's how it's done.
You are a pillar of the community , now tell the real truth , LOL.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I nail it right beside them as I pass on the shoulder and swerve back and forth dangerously. It helps that I have the car painted like a State Trooper, too.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
You are a pillar of the community , now tell the real truth , LOL.
What????...I'm trying to be a role model for the driving youth of America. If I can just influence one young drive to use their signals....and not be like 98% of the other F-tard, D-bags out on the highway today who apparently never had anyone teach them how to use the signals......then I will feel as if I've made up for some vehicular wrong I've done in the past.

Like....... nailing it as I've passed people on the shoulder.....maybe......

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Thread Starter #91
Local states vary, but Drivers Ed is still very much a thing in Florida and Virginia thru your particular high school. I'm sure it's all about the budget.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
My driver ed car was my mom's '59 Pontiac that I stole in the middle of the night when I ran away from home.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
What????...I'm trying to be a role model for the driving youth of America. If I can just influence one young drive to use their signals....and not be like 98% of the other F-tard, D-bags out on the highway today who apparently never had anyone teach them how to use the signals......then I will feel as if I've made up for some vehicular wrong I've done in the past.

That is a big problem now a days , most drivers today don't think it's worth using a blinker or just don't give a shi*.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Ahh, good memories....
Ur a real Shecky Green there ole long shanks....

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
That is a big problem now a days , most drivers today don't think it's worth using a blinker or just don't give a shi*.
In addition to texting or jacking their jaw on their cell phone so they got one hand on the phone, one of the wheel and their head up their a$$

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I have to say, I'm one of the offenders you speak of ! PPL here seem to view a turn signal as a challenge to try and cut you off or ride your arse. They will also speed up when you try to pass, but will slow right back down if you bail & get back behind (which never happens with the Cat). None of this was ever an issue all the years I lived in Mich, so it must be some sort of weird FL thing. I've noticed, even the cops here do not signal, which is even weirder.

I do admit, I take great pleasure in passing the 'speed up PPL' and giving them a taste of the Cat's arse ! I typically start a pass at moderate throttle, but if the douch bucket accelerates, they get the full treatment & it's fun to see their screwed up little faces (sort of like old Greta T.'s) as I leave them behind in the Cat's roaring exhaust wake.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
1994 Honda Accord. Mom bought it from a nice fellow who used it as a storage container. Salvage title, had 3 different colors on it (original color in the pic below), radio that didn't work, and a former rental car. Car did have a working sunroof which was cool for the kid in me and a total chick magnet. Seriously, all the girls in my senior class wanted a ride.

This car was basically when I started modding. Tinted windows, a new paint job, aftermarket head unit and alarm system, HID lights, go fast stickers, the works.

Then came the issues of a high mileage, salvage title, former rental car. Had a crazy leaking problem. Oil one day, coolant the next. Everything went well all through high school and mid college, then it died on me mid way up a ramp. Ended up selling it to some mechanic who knew how to fix the car for good for his kid. Crazy to look back and see where I came from.

20200425_224427.jpg

image2.jpeg

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
@Hunter

Can confirm that Drivers ed is still a thing in school, they even offer summer sessions in some areas. I did my drivers ed about 9 years ago but already knew how to drive a bit. Did 10 days of class learning + 5/6 days of 1 hour sessions of driving.

Car was a jetta probably late 2000s early 2010s.

Definitely didn't learn dick in drivers ed like some of you have said, spent that summer with both my parents driving, mom was very lax, dad was very hard and still likes to critique my driving and prefers driving himself over anybody else.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Trying to recall.
I think it was a week in simulators, class, with movies like "Red Asphalt", then a week with real world driving. Of course, cars had 3 students and one instructor. 2 days driving around parking lot, then each student got to drive on the streets.

Dancap3286

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat redeye