Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone get the factory Mopar Hood pin kit?

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Over time isn’t the wire going from the car to the pin going to rub paint off of the front of the car? Maybe I’m wrong, but that just looks like potential for damage to the paint.
You can either put a small rectangular piece of paint protection film on each side where the cable breaks over the hood, or do the front end. I actually just did the full front clip with film. Than up onto the hood to the intake nostrils. The wire is coated, but it will still work on the clear unless you have some film there!

Sometimes you can get the wires twisted right and clipped in so they actually don't hit the hood. They make a nice tight arch forward.

I also did the wheel arches, the door entry thresholds, some behind the back tires and up the side, and thats about it. They stuff is addictive lol. No worries!

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
What is a brand new hole cutter?
Lol I don’t know what that is.
Thanks
I was gonna reply about not wanting a "dirty" hole in your car but you guys pretty well covered it with virginity jokes. Lol.
Seriously, I did alot of work on my house years ago when we first moved in. A lot of my cutters and saws are beat. Wasn't gonna use a dull bit to make a cut in an expensive part. Pet peeve of mine is when guys cheap out on something stupid when doing something important. Perfect example: I put a $7400 blower kit on my car from Arrington. Had to change the fuel pump. I google fuel pump replacement, and see guys beating on a drift pin or screwdriver to remove the lock ring on top of the GAS tank. Takes'm repeated efforts and long time, plus ring aint look'n the best afterwards.(Spark danger also?). I just spent $7400, ya think I'm gonna butcher it or risk death to save $50 on correct tool. That shit drives me crazy.
Long winded: shoulda stopped at "dirty" hole quip. LOL.

Last edited:

68GoldRunner

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elko
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
I’m buying a second hood for my my car and installing the Mopar pins. I’ve had my hood rise up while going 90 MPH on I80 across the Utah salt flats. Granted that day was windy with gusts up to 50 MPH but the hood still rises the faster you go. It’s kinda unnerving if you do open road racing or top speed runs. In my opinion the installation plates where the pins mount do need to be reinforced. I plan to do some fabrication and welding on that bracket to make the mount more solid. There was a member on the other forum who also did this and where I got my inspiration.

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/why-you-might-need-hood-pins-if-you-go-fast-hoodpins.71777/page-3

68GoldRunner

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elko
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Picture of the modified bracket.
C7B1C90F-E4E5-4B51-A505-0A298971F81E.png

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Hey goldrunner
Did you drill the holes your self on the carbon hood?
If so what kind of bit did you use and did you drill from under the hood or through the top of the hood?
I just put a Demon Carbon fiber hood on my cat and I’m a bit sketchy on installing the Mopar Hood pins my self.
Thanks

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hey James.... bring those suckers to Gila Bend and we’ll put them on. Easy Peasy. You won’t have to watch.... 😂

68GoldRunner

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elko
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
I see that you replaced that push pin with a real bolt. Good idea if the thing is actually going to be functional at high speed.
Hey goldrunner
Did you drill the holes your self on the carbon hood?
If so what kind of bit did you use and did you drill from under the hood or through the top of the hood?
I just put a Demon Carbon fiber hood on my cat and I’m a bit sketchy on installing the Mopar Hood pins my self.
Thanks
Marc, the picture I posted was from a thread on the other forum. I haven’t yet installed the pins, but I will modify and install just like the other member did to his sublime cat. I’d be down there right now to pick up your old hood but work gets in the way lol.

Primetime, I just made plans to buy Marc’s stock hood he had for sale. I thought about a carbon hood but had some of the same questions as you. Just from researching several install threads and videos I’ll start with a new bit for a small pilot hole. Center punch after marking and triple checking measurements. It’s aluminum so a nice slow speed on the drill. I have a set of hole saws I use frequently but with this job I’ll buy a new step bit. Step bits leave a much cleaner circular cut. I think the step bit would be beneficial for cutting into carbon fiber too. Hole saws have large teeth that take a pretty big cut of material. Either way with a new bit you go slow and let the drill do the work. No need to force it. I need to order the Mopar pin kit today and get working.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Hey James.... bring those suckers to Gila Bend and we’ll put them on. Easy Peasy. You won’t have to watch.... 😂
Lol Marc... trying to get holes drilled first then some x pel clear bra to protect the Carbon fiber then finish the pin kit before Gila Bend NFZ.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Marc, the picture I posted was from a thread on the other forum. I haven’t yet installed the pins, but I will modify and install just like the other member did to his sublime cat. I’d be down there right now to pick up your old hood but work gets in the way lol.

Primetime, I just made plans to buy Marc’s stock hood he had for sale. I thought about a carbon hood but had some of the same questions as you. Just from researching several install threads and videos I’ll start with a new bit for a small pilot hole. Center punch after marking and triple checking measurements. It’s aluminum so a nice slow speed on the drill. I have a set of hole saws I use frequently but with this job I’ll buy a new step bit. Step bits leave a much cleaner circular cut. I think the step bit would be beneficial for cutting into carbon fiber too. Hole saws have large teeth that take a pretty big cut of material. Either way with a new bit you go slow and let the drill do the work. No need to force it. I need to order the Mopar pin kit today and get working.
Thanks goldrunner! I think me and my pops are gonna do the hood pins. He has been a electrician for 30 yrs and has drilled through everything but carbon fiber so we will give it a shot.
Pray for us... lol

REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Thanks goldrunner! I think me and my pops are gonna do the hood pins. He has been a electrician for 30 yrs and has drilled through everything but carbon fiber so we will give it a shot.
Pray for us... lol
Would you mind taking lots of pictures during the install?

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
He did a nice job. The bolt replaced for the push pin in the front. It seems he added the dog ears on the side of the bracket as well with the new shiny non body painted bolt.

You can see where he sprayed that area with black paint. And added a screw for the safety wire instead of the plastic keeper plug. I like to tig weld, I may have a fun winter job it seems. I have faith in my system, but why not make it real strong!

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I see that you replaced that push pin with a real bolt. Good idea if the thing is actually going to be functional at high speed.
As well he made the side dog ears and welded them on and bolted them to the side. Also replaced the plastic safety wire pin with a screw. Nice work!

68GoldRunner

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elko
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Pray for us... lol
Your in good hands then. Worked for an electrical contractor in college and used many hole saws and step bits. Good luck!

68GoldRunner

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elko
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Would you mind taking lots of pictures during the install?
Will do Redeye. Can’t give you a time frame when but I’ll make sure to document and share.

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Will do Redeye. Can’t give you a time frame when but I’ll make sure to document and share.
Thanks 68Goldrunner for sharing that hood pin set up. Great info for me, and others!

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Thanks 68Goldrunner for sharing that hood pin set up. Great info for me, and others!
Absolutely!

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Well me and my pops did it our selves... Really was a easy job. Took about 30-45 minutes. Used some blue painters tape on top of the hood to prevent any cracking or chipping in the clear coat. Helps to prevent the spider Webb effect in the clear coat. 2B6ED622-1E62-403E-968F-671837BD54C3.jpeg 47E338DB-595C-4FDE-B483-C4962AD52C08.jpeg 42B01384-6D73-4152-8908-23CA419CFC53.jpeg E44A5151-D4FA-42B3-8AC9-AE31DE161AC3.jpeg 0DA60123-2F17-4CE4-8CDB-8EE40FFC8EC0.jpeg 1CCB7E14-372B-4B42-9268-2D1F4776C3CB.jpeg F4A7F75D-4AC6-4AB4-AF93-C5B74E6554AB.jpeg 9EC664A3-0FE3-462F-9956-7B76B71B0D6D.jpeg

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Gonna finish the hood pins after I get the clear bra installed this week. I will post up pics when it’s all done.

68GoldRunner

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elko
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger