Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Exhaust scares small children

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Anything like this happen to you guys?
No, not really. Mostly because I am not raising wussies and my kids love loud fast cars. Case in point - tonight my oldest helped me assemble a short block:

IMG_20191226_173902.jpg

IMG_20191226_180310.jpg

IMG_20191226_181718.jpg

Yeah... my 6 year old has more wrench time than most Hellcat owners - and if that makes you feel bad, it should.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Right now imnth
No, not really. Mostly because I am not raising wussies and my kids love loud fast cars. Case in point - tonight my oldest helped me assemble a short block:

View attachment 9344

View attachment 9345

View attachment 9346

Yeah... my 6 year old has more wrench time than most Hellcat owners - and if that makes you feel bad, it should.
Right now I’m the only guy at my shop til January 6th I’d take any help I could get lol

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

View attachment 9344

View attachment 9345

View attachment 9346

So cool. Those Amazon boxes make great mats...use them for oil changes and such. Wish I had those opportunities when I was younger. Thanks for sharing.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Right now imnth

Right now I’m the only guy at my shop til January 6th I’d take any help I could get lol
She is a great little garage monkey. Hell... she'll spin wrenches while teaching you French, sign language, how to go from mount to guard and eventually put your ass out cold with a rear-naked choke hold; and go on to tell you how much she loves the smell of WD40 and unspent hydrocarbons. This kid is going to go far and do something special.

Oh, and yesterday she cleaned a mouse trap out just because.

If kids cry because of loud noises, it is the parents who are to blame.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Are

View attachment 9344

View attachment 9345

View attachment 9346

we violating any child labor laws???? LOL

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Are

we violating any child labor laws???? LOL
If I was attempting to run a business maybe. But, I paid more for the cam than I did engine... so I suck at this money management thing. She's back in the coal mines now...

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
My youngest has a disorder that loud noise he can’t handle but he loves cars

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
My youngest has a disorder that loud noise he can’t handle but he loves cars
Extenuating circumstances were obviously not included in my opinion. Our youngest is deaf... so talk about not being able to traditionally appreciate the sound of a loud car, eh? Thankfully the thrill of speed is still completely there for her.

Last edited:

MXS67454

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge
Always take the wife’s car to restaurants . she always parks as close as possible and has no door dings ! how is this possible ?

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
The kids parents probably drive a Tesla. and have an electric lawn mower. The country is going down the tubes. LOL I like the cold start when it blows water all over everything. LOL My YZF R1 is loud as _uck. one day I was riding, and two small kids were playing in a yard but had a large ditch between them and the road. A boy and a girl. looked to be close to the same age. As I turned on to the road ( State Hwy) by them, I rolled on the throttle. The little girl screamed and ran toward the house, the little boy ran towards me and the road ditch divider with a big grin on his face! waving his arms. LOL I swear he had a stick in his pants. The kid was ruined that day Ha.

Last edited:

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I pick restaurants as much by the parking as by the food. Seriously!
I'm a creature of habit at my old age, as I frequent the same restaurants mostly just for breakfast, but if my normal spot is taken I move to choice #2, and #3. All are close so no biggie.

Classic eat and stare at my car breakfast spot. 😂
20190509_072159.jpg

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Get bigger children.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat

View attachment 9344

View attachment 9345

View attachment 9346

That's outstanding, I grew up helping my dad rebuild his Harleys in the living room...mom still bitches about that...taught my daughter to do her own maintenance. My favorite story is one day she was driving down the road with 3 boys in the car. Tire went flat, they were all like "what do we do" "who do we call". She said "none of you knows how to change a tire"? She hopped out, grabbed her 4 way lug wrench, and just like I taught her, put one foot on it, one hand on it, and loosened those lug nuts up, jacked it up, pulled it off, and changed to the spare tightened them by hand, dropped the jack, tightened them up all of the way, and made one of the boys put the flat in the truck.
Last week when my grandaughter got her first car (a Jeep) we sat in the drive way with her bran new 4 way lug wrench and went through the same training!! Kids gotta learn this sheet somewhere!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I would’ve moved that buggy away from the car myself
Excellent eye for detail! That was my cart i put there to take the photo. And yes, I returned the cart to the cart slot before leaving, lol.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Excellent eye for detail! That was my cart i put there to take the photo. And yes, I returned the cart to the cart slot before leaving, lol.
He parked the cart there on purpose for a more dramatic effect.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

View attachment 9344

View attachment 9345

View attachment 9346

In my family we grew up dissecting frogs on the kitchen table, stuff like that...grew up to become human mechanics. So nah, I don't feel bad. I can do some simple things on cars, but leave the big things for the experts. I imagine when you or your kids need repair, you take the same approach.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3

View attachment 9344

View attachment 9345

View attachment 9346

Fantastic.

Bring her by the shop this afternoon, the heads are finally ready to bolt on the 410 SBC.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
In my family we grew up dissecting frogs on the kitchen table, stuff like that...grew up to become human mechanics. So nah, I don't feel bad. I can do some simple things on cars, but leave the big things for the experts. I imagine when you or your kids need repair, you take the same approach.
That logic can be applied to every profession. But, here's the kicker and what I tell my kids:

The only limitations you have in life are the ones that you set for yourselves; never allow anyone to tell you what you are incapable of (the inference being that most people of either scared or full of shit or both).

We do not set false limitations for our kids, and I am encouraging my oldest to avoid the concept of specialization (work harder at the things you lack proficiency in) to find balance and be adaptable. The idea being that there will always be someone smarter, or faster, or stronger than you; but there will be very few people who are as smart and as fast and as strong as you. I grew up in a blue-collar family doing blue-collar things, was the first (and only) of my immediate family to become a University grad, became an infrastructure project manager by 28 and an infrastructure project director with a half billion dollar portfolio by 33, went from Lieutenant to Major in 5 years, and became the the ionizing and non-ionizing radiation safety officer (among overseeing a litany of other national programs) for the Canadian Army by 35... and to think I joined the Infantry as a Private at 25 just because. While I may not be a doctor (which is kind of a weak flex given the number of doctors in the world) I do have a very diverse set of professional and practical skill sets (art, science, mechanics, and the profession at arms) because I worked hard at achieving them... and I have yet to find something I could not accomplish by setting my mind to it.

I fully agree that I cannot do it all... as time is my only real limitation. Wouldn't you like to be capable of more?

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
That logic can be applied to every profession. But, here's the kicker and what I tell my kids:

The only limitations you have in life are the ones that you set for yourselves; never allow anyone to tell you what you are incapable of (the inference being that most people of either scared or full of shit or both).

We do not set false limitations for our kids, and I am encouraging my oldest to avoid the concept of specialization (work harder at the things you lack proficiency in) to find balance and be adaptable. The idea being that there will always be someone smarter, or faster, or stronger than you; but there will be very few people who are as smart and as fast and as strong as you. I grew up in a blue-collar family doing blue-collar things, was the first (and only) of my immediate family to become a University grad, became an infrastructure project manager by 28 and an infrastructure project director with a half billion dollar portfolio by 33, went from Lieutenant to Major in 5 years, and became the the ionizing and non-ionizing radiation safety officer (among overseeing a litany of other national programs) for the Canadian Army by 35... and to think I joined the Infantry as a Private at 25 just because. While I may not be a doctor (which is kind of a weak flex given the number of doctors in the world) I do have a very diverse set of professional and practical skill sets (art, science, mechanics, and the profession at arms) because I worked hard at achieving them... and I have yet to find something I could not accomplish by setting my mind to it.

I fully agree that I cannot do it all... as time is my only real limitation. Wouldn't you like to be capable of more?
Sorry if my post sounded like I wanted to start a pissing contest.
You sound like a great guy and a great dad.
Key with kids is the time and teaching them there are no limits except those they impose themselves. Seems we agree on that, the rest are details.