Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Front rotors and hot spots

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I switched to Z26 brake pads on 2 different sets of rotors and both of them developed hot spots . Is there a brake pad that is won't cause hot spots on ther rotors ?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Wow, never seen that before.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I have heat spots on mine too but not that bad , I'm at 7600 miles.

As far as different pads that won't do that , I don't know.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Stock pads. I did that to French cat's rotors. He went back to stock and no problem.
We did a couple runs back to back as it was cold out and I was losing brakes on the 3rd pass. Had to use the second turn off for return road. You would get what that means.😳
I will gladly deal with the dust and keep the front of my car looking like it should.
I wash the stupid thing just about everytime I use it anyways.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Mine did as well, same pad, but only when I came down from 175 to 30, 30x

;)

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Stop Tech “street” pads (#308.14051) have been the best all round performer I’ve found...and I’ve tried around 7 different manufacturers, including the Z26. All the Brembo bite I like without as much dust. They also supply the new pins & clips, like Powerstop, where many others do not. BTW, the grease that many supply is a waste of time. Does nothing for our 6 piston setup but make a mess.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Stop Tech “street” pads (#308.14051) have been the best all round performer I’ve found...and I’ve tried around 7 different manufacturers, including the Z26. All the Brembo bite I like without as much dust. They also supply the new pins & clips, like Powerstop, where many others do not. BTW, the grease that many supply is a waste of time. Does nothing for our 6 piston setup but make a mess.
Thanks for the info

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Stock pads. I did that to French cat's rotors. He went back to stock and no problem.
We did a couple runs back to back as it was cold out and I was losing brakes on the 3rd pass. Had to use the second turn off for return road. You would get what that means.
I will gladly deal with the dust and keep the front of my car looking like it should.
I wash the stupid thing just about everytime I use it anyways.
I'm beginning to lean that way also .

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
You guys should check out Pagid or Porterfield (R4S model) brands, or Hawk. Not their down and dirty series like we use on the track, but I know for example that Porterfield set would work with the Brembo rotors (not the DP rotors for some reason) and be an upgrade and work for your use on the strip etc. from the Powerstops but with a much lighter dusting, and not burn up.

You guys are stepping on those Powerstops more than they can do in your events. That is clear from the looks of @Hpindy 's rotors. Look at my rotors (ONLY street use about 4000 miles now), they don't breakout with evidence of lots of heat. There may be a little blister or two, but these are totally different.

IMG_1396.jpg

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #10
You guys should check out Pagid or Porterfield (R4S model) brands, or Hawk. Not their down and dirty series like we use on the track, but I know for example that Porterfield set would work with the Brembo rotors (not the DP rotors for some reason) and be an upgrade and work for your use on the strip etc. from the Powerstops but with a much lighter dusting, and not burn up.

You guys are stepping on those Powerstops more than they can do in your events. That is clear from the looks of @Hpindy 's rotors. Look at my rotors (ONLY street use about 4000 miles now), they don't breakout with evidence of lots of heat. There may be a little blister or two, but these are totally different.

View attachment 15041
Those were my original hellcat rotors . My new race brake rotors are starting to do the same and I want to stop it before it get too bad .

I guess stopping at 140+ mph on a short shut down area is not good for the Z26's

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I use the Stop Tech for street then switch back to the OE Brembos for track days. I liked the Hawk pads for track but squeal like a banshee :) Also like using Motul DOT 5.1 fluid and reload fresh every spring. Z26 is a terrible track pad and definitely not intended for use there.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Those were my original hellcat rotors . My new race brake rotors are starting to do the same and I want to stop it before it get too bad .

I guess stopping at 140+ mph on a short shut down area is not good for the Z26's

True that! Those Porterfields will work and won't break the bank. Hawk makes some products that will work for you also. OR, do just short of what I do (I change rotors and pads for racing), change back to your Brembo pads for track use. Then bed and go back to Powerstop for only street.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #13
I don't mind buying new brake pads . It is cheaper and easier the swapping rotors/pads or ruining the rotors . I'm going to look into the ones you guys suggested and see what suits my needs the best,

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Also went with DBA rotor rings and re-used the OE hats. They’ve been great for street and track both. A little over $800 for the pair if you do it yourself. Easy not to mess up since they’re non-directional.

IMG_2181.JPG

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't mind buying new brake pads . It is cheaper and easier the swapping rotors/pads or ruining the rotors . I'm going to look into the ones you guys suggested and see what suits my needs the best,

The front rotors are not as bad as the rears for me. That will change soon. I am going to ditch the damn Speedlogix tension arms. Those overgrown pieces of shit need to be unbolted from the wheel to gain access to the bottom caliper bolt in the rear. I needed to jack the darn wheel assembly up to get the bolts back in the other day to add insult to the job of changing them back after the cancellation of the road event in OK. last weekend. Just changing the pads is about as easy as changing a tire.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Also went with DBA rotor rings and re-used the OE hats. They’ve been great for street and track both. A little over $800 for the pair if you do it yourself. Easy not to mess up since they’re non-directional.

View attachment 15046
You use those DBA’s for HPDE use? If yes, what pads, Sir?

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #17
I have Demon performance rotors on the rear and race brake rotors up front . I have Z26's on all 4 corners but will be replacing them soon . And yes those are demon calipers on the front .

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
You use those DBA’s for HPDE use? If yes, what pads, Sir?
Yes and easily swap out my front Stop Tech for the OE Brembo pads on track days. I actually bought a hardly used front set of backup OE Brembo pads for a song. I keep the same set of Hawk pads on the rear for both street and track.

DBA has a pretty good explanation on their web site about how they are designed for cooling.

Last edited:

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Do you know the matching part number for the rear set?

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you already have the hot spots can you swap pads to something else to get rid of them? Mine look rough as well, I like the less dust but the bite of the z26 isn't that of the brembo pads.