Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Front rotors and hot spots

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #21
If you already have the hot spots can you swap pads to something else to get rid of them? Mine look rough as well, I like the less dust but the bite of the z26 isn't that of the brembo pads.
That's what I'm Hoping for . I will soon see I guess .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
man let me know, i'll swap back in a day!

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Do you know the matching part number for the rear set?
Sorry, I don’t. I’d bet that can be found on their web site.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
That's what I'm Hoping for . I will soon see I guess .

Yep, I had hot spots and are now gone after a pad swap with a few miles on them.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
If you put in a Brembo or other abrasive (racing type pads) and do moderate braking (NOT bed-in heat), they will be in the grinding mode and simply grind away. I have learned so much from the videos these guys put out. Everyone who gives a rip about their expensive brakes AND THEIR SAFETY or goes to the track or strip regularly needs to understand bedding and pad changes.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #26
If you put in a Brembo or other abrasive (racing type pads) and do moderate braking (NOT bed-in heat), they will be in the grinding mode and simply grind away. I have learned so much from the videos these guys put out. Everyone who gives a rip about their expensive brakes AND THEIR SAFETY or goes to the track or strip regularly needs to understand bedding and pad changes.

Dude ..... His videos are awesome! I will admit it but I have done it wrong all these years !

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dude ..... His videos are awesome! I will admit it but I have done it wrong all these years !

Enjoy, brother, just trying to help everyone. I have watched his entire series some videos more than once! After his explanation and videos, that is when I decided to just change the rotors & pads together; one set for the track, one set for the street. That is why my OE Brembo rotors may last forever and look so good with the Powerstops on the street only.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
so, if swap back to brembo pads from my z26, don't bed, just some 60-5 slow downs?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
so, if swap back to brembo pads from my z26, don't bed, just some 60-5 slow downs?
Yes. Watch that video. Don't let them get hot, or then the material begins to melt onto the rotor. A few aggressive stops NOT in succession so you let them cool off is a good technique. The Brembo pads are good grinders ;)

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
They are on their way, should be here next week, i'm ready to have dirty wheels!

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
My Z26's are doing just fine. No hot spots at all, but I'm not doing hard braking or at the drag strip or road course or even auto crossing it. If I were, I'd switch back to the Brembos where max stopping power is needed...or something very similar to Brembos....

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #32
Update in my hot spots . I switch to a Napa brand brake pad for testing ( and they were free) and my hot spots are pretty much gone . I'm going to shop around for a good quality brake pad and be ready when these wear out . I'm quite surprised the Z26's did this to my rotors . Oh well lesson learned for.

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Update in my hot spots . I switch to a Napa brand brake pad for testing ( and they were free) and my hot spots are pretty much gone . I'm going to shop around for a good quality brake pad and be ready when these wear out . I'm quite surprised the Z26's did this to my rotors . Oh well lesson learned for.

What about the Z23's or the Stop Tech Sport Series 309.1149 FRT & 309.1053 RR which are between the standard street & full Race pads of theirs that I had on my 09 Challenger and worked real well.

These brake pads offer a combination of high bite, low noise, medium dust, and sufficient operating temperature range to be used in light to medium duty track applications as well as street.

They are the ones that were recommended by the company that I gave you a link to some time back & never had hot spot problems even under constant hard braking.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I too swapped back to brembo pads, I have clean shiny rotors again, no discoloration anymore. Brakes seem to work great still.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #35
What about the Z23's or the Stop Tech Sport Series 309.1149 FRT & 309.1053 RR which are between the standard street & full Race pads of theirs that I had on my 09 Challenger and worked real well.

These brake pads offer a combination of high bite, low noise, medium dust, and sufficient operating temperature range to be used in light to medium duty track applications as well as street.

They are the ones that were recommended by the company that I gave you a link to some time back & never had hot spot problems even under constant hard braking.
I will definitely be doing my research on brake pads for my next set . Thanks for the suggestions.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #36
I too swapped back to brembo pads, I have clean shiny rotors again, no discoloration anymore. Brakes seem to work great still.
I'd rather deal with the dust then destroying $1000 rotors .

StingrayZ51

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lindenhurst
State
IL
Country
United States
Ok so I had to check mine and same thing from the power stop pads. Now I’m wondering if I should switch back to the brembo pads. But that dust ugh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I actually resurfaced my rotors on my brake lathe and went back with brembo pads from dodge 5689F906-1410-4350-8FCA-C5CEEA3DF369.jpeg 4436B43E-514E-44A0-989E-3E1930255F6E.jpeg

StingrayZ51

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lindenhurst
State
IL
Country
United States

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Would you feel that turning them would be necessary before switching back to the stock pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My pads were due to be replaced so I decided to resurface them at the same time there wasn’t any warpage but hot spots yes and I actually wasn’t sure that they would turn out ok but they turned out fine