Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How much oil in your catch can?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
As far as I know the pans are the same, they changed the dipsticks.
If the pans are the same, why would the factory require 7 qts for 2017 and up and it not be ok for 2015/16? It would follow that 7qts is also ok for 2015/16.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If the pans are the same, why would the factory require 7 qts for 2017 and up and it not be ok for 2015/16? It would follow that 7qts is also ok for 2015/16.

This was described to me as an internal "mistake"...

:unsure:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
What is the reason then the early 6.2s take 6 quarts and the later ones take 7? Am I missing something???

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #64
What is the reason then the early 6.2s take 6 quarts and the later ones take 7? Am I missing something???
Any chance it’s just wording?

I.e. the 2016 FSM says to fill the oil filter before install (which I think takes quite a bit of oil) then add oil and check the level. Maybe nominally the engine, after you fill the oil filter, takes another 6 quarts?

Vs the other manuals that just say fill with 7 quarts and maybe assume you don’t fill the filter during install?

Just random guessing…

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Any chance it’s just wording?

I.e. the 2016 FSM says to fill the oil filter before install (which I think takes quite a bit of oil) then add oil and check the level. Maybe nominally the engine, after you fill the oil filter, takes another 6 quarts?

Vs the other manuals that just say fill with 7 quarts and maybe assume you don’t fill the filter during install?

Just random guessing…
The techs at the dealer never fill the filter before they install it

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #66
So I changed my oil and filter today and used 6.5 quarts total but was reminded of this conversation.

The FSM says to fill the filter before install - which actually takes a bit of time (maybe 10 minutes?) I eventually put almost 0.5 quarts in the filter before install but you have to fill, wait for it to settle and burp, then fill, wait for it to settle and burp the air out, and repeat quite a few times.

After that I installed the filter and 6 quarts in the engine. My dipstick (factory 2016) shows full. The FSM also warns against over filling, so I’m just sticking with the 6 quarts it calls for (plus the half quart in the filter).

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
So I changed my oil and filter today and used 6.5 quarts total but was reminded of this conversation.

The FSM says to fill the filter before install - which actually takes a bit of time (maybe 10 minutes?) I eventually put almost 0.5 quarts in the filter before install but you have to fill, wait for it to settle and burp, then fill, wait for it to settle and burp the air out, and repeat quite a few times.

After that I installed the filter and 6 quarts in the engine. My dipstick (factory 2016) shows full. The FSM also warns against over filling, so I’m just sticking with the 6 quarts it calls for (plus the half quart in the filter).
The previous owner may have installed a newer dipstick in it. A replacement dipstick for '15s and '16s is about an inch shorter than what they came with. Anyway, I have the newer stick and 6.5 quarts registers full on my '16.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
7 Quarts sir!

(per ECO)

(And one of the guys that built the engine that used to hang around here...)

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #69
7 Quarts sir!

(per ECO)

(And one of the guys that built the engine that used to hang around here...)

7 quarts plus the 0.5 in the filter pre-fill?

And what’s ECO?

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
7 quarts plus the 0.5 in the filter pre-fill?

And what’s ECO?
7 qts, total.

Engineering Change Order.

Just did an oil change, while installing new oil cooler lines. Bought 5 qt bottle and two singles. Filled the filter and dumped the rest, in the engine.

Mine is MY15. New dipstick. Full, at 7 qts.

My 6.1 took 7 qts. Never understood why 15 & 16 called out for 6.5. Same block. Then... no physical changes and 17+ get 7?

Stick with 7, MY15 and on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #71
7 qts, total.

Engineering Change Order.

Just did an oil change, while installing new oil cooler lines. Bought 5 qt bottle and two singles. Filled the filter and dumped the rest, in the engine.

Mine is MY15. New dipstick. Full, at 7 qts.

My 6.1 took 7 qts. Never understood why 15 & 16 called out for 6.5. Same block. Then... no physical changes and 17+ get 7?

Stick with 7, MY15 and on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Got it, I’ll toss another 0.5 quart in then.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Yea, I and others were knee deep in the dipstick fiasco on the "old" forum. I am of the belief the mothership made internal errors with both the dipstick length and the tech pubs as mentioned, and 7 qt is the proper fill amount. During that time, I had the unplanned "opportunity" to let my oil pan and cooler drain for a week. Upon refill after this abnormal drain time, it took 7.5 qt to get back to full, on what I and others believe to be the correct (short) dipstick. To each their own.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

and THAT....right there....is why we can't have nice things.

:p