Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How much oil in your catch can?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #42
I guess I missed news of the purchase during my absence. Congrats.
Yeah snatched up an M6 back in Jan. Found one spec’d how I wanted at a good price and decided to pick it up since the manual trans magically disappeared from Dodge’s lineup somewhere mid last year.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Drinking a beer in my backyard after a long day of cleaning the car. Drive about 4 hours West on I-10 and then 6 hours North on I-15 and I’ll buy the first round!

View attachment 72192
View attachment 72193
I’ll have to pass, I-10 West of the first Buckeye exit is a parking lot. Kicking back at the Verrado Country club, drinking some kind of Cactus cooler watching the grand daughters play in the grass. GREAT food at that place, LOVE’n it!!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Correct but I need a dipstick to determine how much oil is still in there in between oil changes.
Don't over think it. Drain the oil and put in 7 quarts if that is what you want to run. Then the next time do the same thing the same way

Bmason has turned an oil change into a huge project. Driving the car up on ramps, changing the oil, take it off the ramps and let it warm up. Let it sit and check the oil and top it off. He says every time he does it takes 6 quarts on the dipstick. I say why not just drain the oil and put in 6 quarts? He says because I don't know how much came out? So the last 5 oil changes you added 6 quarts but now after doing the exact same thing you think you will get a different result?

This is not rocket science. I like to drain my oil in the morning after the car has set being it will all have drained to the bottom. I drain and put 6 quarts or 7 or whatever it calls for and I'm done. I never look at the dipstick because I know what I put in and it was dripping or completely stopped when I put the drain plug back in

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #45
Don't over think it. Drain the oil and put in 7 quarts if that is what you want to run. Then the next time do the same thing the same way

Bmason has turned an oil change into a huge project. Driving the car up on ramps, changing the oil, take it off the ramps and let it warm up. Let it sit and check the oil and top it off. He says every time he does it takes 6 quarts on the dipstick. I say why not just drain the oil and put in 6 quarts? He says because I don't know how much came out? So the last 5 oil changes you added 6 quarts but now after doing the exact same thing you think you will get a different result?

This is not rocket science. I like to drain my oil in the morning after the car has set being it will all have drained to the bottom. I drain and put 6 quarts or 7 or whatever it calls for and I'm done. I never look at the dipstick because I know what I put in and it was dripping or completely stopped when I put the drain plug back in
I get what you’re saying but what I’m getting at is:

I changed my oil 5 months ago and almost 2k miles. Drained just like you said, drained the cooler, changed the filter. Filled the new filter and installed, then put 6 quarts in.

I checked it yesterday and the oil was so low it almost didn’t register on the dipstick. Why? I have no idea but it’s nice to have some visual confirmation of what’s going on, at least for me. Would you just run your car knowing your oil level measured that low, even though you put 6 quarts in 5 months ago?

Maybe it’s ok, I don’t know, but it doesn’t pass the logic test for me, especially when I’m about to take it on a 1k mile road trip.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I get what you’re saying but what I’m getting at is:

I changed my oil 5 months ago and almost 2k miles. Drained just like you said, drained the cooler, changed the filter. Filled the new filter and installed, then put 6 quarts in.

I checked it yesterday and the oil was so low it almost didn’t register on the dipstick. Why? I have no idea but it’s nice to have some visual confirmation of what’s going on, at least for me. Would you just run your car knowing your oil level measured that low, even though you put 6 quarts in 5 months ago?

Maybe it’s ok, I don’t know, but it doesn’t pass the logic test for me, especially when I’m about to take it on a 1k mile road trip.
You could have a 7 quart dipstick. If it has been 6 months maybe burned it? I get checking your oil after 2k miles. I was saying right after I change it I normally don't being I know what I put in

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk

I always use 7 qts. I fill the oil filter first and put the rest in the motor. It never shows too high on the dipstick but I don’t care. It’s the correct amount. Maybe 6 qts does not include the amount in the oil filter and oil cooler?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Correction, 45psi idle and 72psi at WOT. Just checked a log on mine, Redeye engine for clarification.
I ran my car through 4th gear last night and was seeing in the 70's also. I would think based on what I saw, if we are not loosing oil pressure then we are not getting windage

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye

Wait...so there is someone who is convinced these cars take 6 quarts and not 7?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The dipsticks in the 1st 2 years is different then the later cars. They made them shorter in 17 or 18 to read more oil and must have changed the owners manual to 7 quarts

Here is a pic of my 2016 owners manual

20220530_102927.jpg

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #51
I always did what the service manual said, fill the filter before install then add 6 quarts. Never even heard about the 7 quart thing until now.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #52
The dipsticks in the 1st 2 years is different then the later cars. They made them shorter in 17 or 18 to read more oil and must have changed the owners manual to 7 quarts

View attachment 72246
The factory service manual I purchased in 2020 for my 2016 says 6 as well. Wonder why they wouldn’t have updated that, it’s all electronic.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
^^^Wow, never heard of that. I have only put 7 quarts in my new-age Hemis, 6.1, 6.4 and now the 6.2(and they all called for 7) - but granted I never had an early Hellcat like you guys are referencing above.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So the solution is order the new dipstick?

As I recall from back when all this surfaced, you can't even get the old 6 qt dipstick anymore, when you look it up it refers you to the new 7 qt one.

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger

View attachment 72246
So according to the manual attachment the 6.2 holds 6 Quarts with Filter and the 6.4 hold 7 quarts with Filter. If FCA used the same dipstick for both motors the 6.2 and the 6.4 would that not confuse many on how much oil was actually full on the dip stick? So maybe that is why they changed the dipstick? Just saying. I have bitched about Ram dip sticks for last two trucks I owned and one RT 5.7 Charger. I put 7 Quarts in the Ram and scratched it with an awe on the dip stick so I would know where full was. Same on the 5.7 RT and the same on a 6.4 Scat pack as well. That ended tring to figure out FCA screwed up Dip Sticks! One 2014 Ram I owned 5.7 Actually held 7 1/2 to the full mark!

Last edited:

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
FSM states 6 quarts for 2015-16 cars.

1654622425250.png

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
D034E980-9C6B-445C-A6CA-C6559416079A.jpeg 2019 shows 7 qts. Funny how the 6.2 is listed as SRT without the engine size. The previous page has the 6.4 listed as 7 qts also.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I put 7 in both the 6.2 and 6.4.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
This was discussed a couple of years ago and it seems to me the later 6.2’s with 7 qt capacity had the same oil pan P/N as the 2015-16 6.2’s?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
This was discussed a couple of years ago and it seems to me the later 6.2’s with 7 qt capacity had the same oil pan P/N as the 2015-16 6.2’s?
As far as I know the pans are the same, they changed the dipsticks.