Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Is Racing on 93 "Safe"? Not really.

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8
Interesting that on the chart that 93 + Boostane is only 1% lower than MS109
Mean Cat, you know Boostane works because you have been running it for 3 years with no issues at all. One year at stock boost and 2 years with additional boost. Every data log has looked perfect! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
As long as your racing yourself,,, It's just fine. I haven't lost a race yet.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
When I was working with OST I would get knock from bad gasoline. I switched from ROFO to BP 93 and add quite a bit of 104 at the track to make it happy. Not chancing it at all.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Mean Cat, you know Boostane works because you have been running it for 3 years with no issues at all. One year at stock boost and 2 years with additional boost. Every data log has looked perfect! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
I hear ya, I do need to pull some plugs & take a look though, I'm sure there's some orange coloring but I have used such moderate amounts & no solid proof that some discoloring is causing any issue with performance.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'm 2 years in and no trouble at all with E85. I do run 93 through once a month though and drive my car at least once a week. If I ever do have problems they'll get posted here for sure though.

I've been aggravated because E85 is over $3 a gallon here right now. Priced the same as 87 gasoline so I've been running 93 in protest LOL.
Yeah, our Shell 93 here is getting close to $4 a gallon, Let's Go Brandon :LOL:

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
Not having enough octane on a hot run is a lot like not having a parachute when you need one it will only happen once. and when it does it's epic and costly

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8
I hear ya, I do need to pull some plugs & take a look though, I'm sure there's some orange coloring but I have used such moderate amounts & no solid proof that some discoloring is causing any issue with performance.
Just curious, have you ever pulled a plug to see what they look like? Hard to believe that only 2 ounces of Boostane mixed with 8+ gallons of 93 would still leave any residue or coloration behind. It certainly doesn’t seem to hurt performance per your cars results as of late.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Just curious, have you ever pulled a plug to see what they look like? Hard to believe that only 2 ounces of Boostane mixed with 8+ gallons of 93 would still leave any residue or coloration behind. It certainly doesn’t seem to hurt performance per your cars results as of late.
No, I have never pulled a plug yet, need to, I think regardless it leaves color on plugs but don't think it's an issue with function or performance.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
No, I have never pulled a plug yet, need to, I think regardless it leaves color on plugs but don't think it's an issue with function or performance.
I pulled my plugs and they were fine.
I switched plugs when I was trying to figure out what was going on after the reflash from the recall. If there was gas run without the booster and the plug was pulled the slight orange was pretty much gone.

I used VP Octanium in my car. My car sees the track more than the street so probably more often run with the booster than not.
Last year when the dealer tore my motor apart I looked at the heads. I did not have the issues that @Speedy! was referring to.
I used that stuff for over 2 years.
So like the, I used E85 for a couple of years with no issues, comment.
I can say the same for the Octane Booster.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I pulled my plugs and they were fine.
I switched plugs when I was trying to figure out what was going on after the reflash from the recall. If there was gas run without the booster and the plug was pulled the slight orange was pretty much gone.

I used VP Octanium in my car. My car sees the track more than the street so probably more often run with the booster than not.
Last year when the dealer tore my motor apart I looked at the heads. I did not have the issues that @Speedy! was referring to.
I used that stuff for over 2 years.
So like the, I used E85 for a couple of years with no issues, comment.
I can say the same for the Octane Booster.
Good to know Jim, I'm the same, my car sees the track more than the streets, I should put straight 93 in it more often & just cruise it around more, maybe to clean things up a little if needed.
I will be pulling plugs soon to check.

I think that guys that overused (32oz bottle to a tank) any octane boosters will have biuld up on stuff more than normal. That's way more than is needed to just get an octane bump.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I will be changing my plugs so we will see what mine look like. I have used boosters at the track sometimes but I do drive it everyday also

Glad Jon changed his after what he found

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Picture of the inside of heads from several tanks at the track (road courses, not 10 second runs, but 15-20 minute repeated WOT use), and some prior street use with 93 octane with and without booster. These were frozen in time after an engine failure, so it did run laps the previous day on a mix of racing gas/93, and a mix of Octanium/93. Try to ignore the metal shavings showered all over, that is from supercharger blades that seemed to disagree with each other at about 5200 rpm in 6th! Some of those valves are filled in, some are not, some of it is tainted orange. But, here is what they look like just plucked from battle. Engine had about 11,000 miles on it. The cause of the failure was a plugged left cat converter that is also pictured below.

I used Octanium off and on on the street and at the tracks in this engine. Because of a few recommendations, my new friend is Boostane and when available I will use higher octane gas to supplement my octane rating when lapping.
2AEDB16D-7E03-46BC-AAAD-486D01026987.jpeg

54CA4BB9-812F-4791-845E-BA370DD11BE9.jpeg

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Picture of the inside of heads from several tanks at the track (road courses, not 10 second runs, but 15-20 minute repeated WOT use), and some prior street use with 93 octane with and without booster. These were frozen in time after an engine failure, so it did run laps the previous day on a mix of racing gas/93, and a mix of Octanium/93. Try to ignore the metal shavings showered all over, that is from supercharger blades that seemed to disagree with each other at about 5200 rpm in 6th! Some of those valves are filled in, some are not, some of it is tainted orange. But, here is what they look like just plucked from battle. Engine had about 11,000 miles on it. The cause of the failure was a plugged left cat converter that is also pictured below.

I used Octanium off and on on the street and at the tracks in this engine. Because of a few recommendations, my new friend is Boostane and when available I will use higher octane gas to supplement my octane rating when lapping.
View attachment 63359

View attachment 63360
Sorry that happen @DGatzby, I'm no expert on judging this from a pic but it doesn't look that bad to me, as far as the color & residue.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Sorry that happen @DGatzby, I'm no expert on judging this from a pic but it doesn't look that bad to me, as far as the color & residue.
No, I agree. With a few of you getting ready to pull plugs, I wanted to share. I never poured more than a half a bottle in a tank.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
No, I agree. With a few of you getting ready to pull plugs, I wanted to share. I never poured more than a half a bottle in a tank.
Thanks, and I use 2.5oz. to 8 gallons of 93 for 98 mix, so hopefully not too bad on mine either.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
If you pour multiple bottles of octane booster in at a time or use it everyday it will build up over time ... But will disappear eventually once you discontinue using it ...
Using it from time to time and then logging lots of street miles will get rid of of pretty quickly ... It's not a substatue for race gas in my opinion. I would rather use it in a pinch to error on the side of caution then not use anything and have an issue ...
It's not much different then leaded gas leaving a white residue on everything...

For what it's worth a tank or 2 of E85 will clean it up in a hurry lol

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

View attachment 63359

View attachment 63360
So the Cat failure was b4 recall ?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you pour multiple bottles of octane booster in at a time or use it everyday it will build up over time ... But will disappear eventually once you discontinue using it ...
Using it from time to time and then logging lots of street miles will get rid of of pretty quickly ... It's not a substatue for race gas in my opinion. I would rather use it in a pinch to error on the side of caution then not use anything and have an issue ...
It's not much different then leaded gas leaving a white residue on everything...

For what it's worth a tank or 2 of E85 will clean it up in a hurry lol

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk
I was thinking E85 may clean it up

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Middleville