Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Is Racing on 93 "Safe"? Not really.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I guess it should have ?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think the recall was 15-17 and maybe not all 17?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I think the recall was 15-17 and maybe not all 17?
Yeah, mine is on the recall but haven't done it, I need to see if they'll do it without the reflash (since I'm tuned), a while back they said they would but never did it, so not sure now until I call again, if they will I should go get some new cats & O2's.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
My warranty is over next month, like I had much anyway.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
So the Cat failure was b4 recall ?
It was last May. I never received a recall on the RE. The bad thing is the idiot light comes on, when I looked it up, it had a disclaimer that the particular error/light was not serious. Well after about 20-30 min total of fairly hard running, IT IS SERIOUS. The right side was showing that is was about to break up also when we pulled it. I need to add, Dodge stood behind their product 100% here, and I am grateful.

The only other thing, that I did different that morning was for the first time ever in the RE, I as not running pure Track Mode, therefore the s/c chiller circuit was NOT active for the first time ever under my hands in HPDE lapping. First session, I was a bit light on it. Pressed a bit in the second session, and bang.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Yeah, mine is on the recall but haven't done it, I need to see if they'll do it without the reflash (since I'm tuned), a while back they said they would but never did it, so not sure now until I call again, if they will I should go get some new cats & O2's.
dont do it, my shit was broke till they fixed it

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Broke because you didn’t do the flash?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It's fine now. The first ones had an issue. I did my for the parts. Everything is good

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Just when you finkster,,, it don't work no moe. Can't wait to get mine back and sea the getter back done again.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
What was broke ?..... the reflash broke it ?

That's the part I don't want.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Broke because you didn’t do the flash?
It's fine now. The first ones had an issue. I did my for the parts. Everything is good
What was broke ?..... the reflash broke it ?

That's the part I don't want.
start here: https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/v86-emissions-recall.6273/page-2#post-90777

Madness ends here:
https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/v86-emissions-recall.6273/page-9#post-98547

No more recalls for me.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I see what you are saying every OS might as well about be a new cars for hp tuners. They do a pretty good job working with me getting stuff added. Just this winter I worked with them using @vortecd car getting tables added. If you had a 16 post recall it was not possible for you to get afr to display properly using e85 and tune for e85 properly. As of around the new year all of those tables have been added and I have confirmed they have been added.
I think I sent hp tuners around 20 tables I wanted added for his car.
I was disappointed in that time a large scale shop hadn’t made that request to them yet. But o well little ol me will do it and the big guys can take the benefit.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I see what you are saying every OS might as well about be a new cars for hp tuners. They do a pretty good job working with me getting stuff added. Just this winter I worked with them using @vortecd car getting tables added. If you had a 16 post recall it was not possible for you to get afr to display properly using e85 and tune for e85 properly. As of around the new year all of those tables have been added and I have confirmed they have been added.
I think I sent hp tuners around 20 tables I wanted added for his car.
I was disappointed in that time a large scale shop hadn’t made that request to them yet. But o well little ol me will do it and the big guys can take the benefit.
You da Man Jon, this was why I didn't do it b4, the rumors of the bad reflash, I could not trust them (the dealer) that they wouldn't still do it, even if they said they won't.
Just swapping out the cats & O2's would not affect anything because it was reported that the replacements were same part #'s as stock,

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #75
John gained his Experience and Knowledge for a couple of mods he had done to his Hellcat and Mine. This comes from building My 2010 SRT8 3.6 to 4.2 Kenne Bell Build. Which was with Tim Barth.
The Hellcat has a Super Charger that gets hot and works in Tandem with the Engine. The MS109 was not for any ET gains but it helped keep the engine cool = Safe.

@Speedy when I attended Challengerfest with my brand new Stock Hellcat Charger, John added the MS109.
That year I drove from Winter in Pa finishing my break in miles, stopping on the way for an oil change and then continued to a Hot as Hell Spring in Bowling Green. That next day I raced my Stock ( had a DSS AL DS installed. We all know the stock 2015 was a Twizzler waiting to happen and some Nittos 555's) I got to enjoy racing 14 back to back passes. I had a wonderful weekend with lots of wonderful peeps.

Thank you @Speedy! it's good to help the members with your info because blowing up engines is not cheap and yes there were stock blown engines as well as Tuned.
We know we can get away with somethings sometimes and then that day happens when and the smoke comes but, it's not from a a burnout. Or a bunch of oil underneath.

Better be safe than Sorry

Linda :)
@Linda's Hell Cat seeing your car run so well at ChallengerFest and drive a long ways home, plus this race with Craig are what led me to buying Go Man Go. So thanks for helping lighten my wallet :ROFLMAO:

This was in my M6 R/T and I was pretty proud to run so close. In the end I lost $100 as he got me, but the real kicker was I looked over at Craig while we were blasting down the track and he was on a Sunday drive. In my car all hell was breaking loose as I prayed I didn't miss a gear.

Picture of the inside of heads from several tanks at the track (road courses, not 10 second runs, but 15-20 minute repeated WOT use), and some prior street use with 93 octane with and without booster. These were frozen in time after an engine failure, so it did run laps the previous day on a mix of racing gas/93, and a mix of Octanium/93. Try to ignore the metal shavings showered all over, that is from supercharger blades that seemed to disagree with each other at about 5200 rpm in 6th! Some of those valves are filled in, some are not, some of it is tainted orange. But, here is what they look like just plucked from battle. Engine had about 11,000 miles on it. The cause of the failure was a plugged left cat converter that is also pictured below.

I used Octanium off and on on the street and at the tracks in this engine. Because of a few recommendations, my new friend is Boostane and when available I will use higher octane gas to supplement my octane rating when lapping.
View attachment 63359

View attachment 63360
The exhaust valves on all but one of those cylinders looked completely caked up to me. Like 1/4" or more thick with deposit? Odd that one cylinder didn't have any? Maybe I'm missing something but that's a LOT of deposits. Looks just like Mike's that he said took a serious grinder to get off. I'm not sure running 93 would clean it up?

Wonder if that stuff had plugged the cats as well causing your issue?

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8
Can’t wait to see what yours looks like Mean Cat!

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Can’t wait to see what yours looks like Mean Cat!
It will be interesting.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You da Man Jon, this was why I didn't do it b4, the rumors of the bad reflash, I could not trust them (the dealer) that they wouldn't still do it, even if they said they won't.
Just swapping out the cats & O2's would not affect anything because it was reported that the replacements were same part #'s as stock,
Odd if they are the same part number. I figured the cats were different so that is why they changed them out. Makes no sense if they are all the same but the recall isn't based on miles

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Odd if they are the same part number. I figured the cats were different so that is why they changed them out. Makes no sense if they are all the same but the recall isn't based on miles
I forget who it was that did it & they actually got the part #'s to find out. They (the dealer) were CYA just in case some cats were getting plugged or falling apart already, then the reflash to add more fuel to COT & other areas in the tune.
Hellcats were coming from factory too lean.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
That's why BMason & @hellman cars run so good, adding fuel in a few areas.
And BMason's extensive datalogging & adjustments to tune without going crazy.

And low DA doesn't hurt either.