Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jared's 2015 Challenger Hellcat Build

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thought it looked familiar!! Didn’t know it was yours!
It’s not mine. When I say “we” I mean SpankinTime Motorsports. It belongs to Adam Montague. He also owns the Blue 7 second Redeye (bought it from me) and his daughter Nichole is driving that now. The Grinch is famous out west. It’s a legend (like the Black Ghost) lol. Adam said I can drive it when it returns to the track. That will be a treat for me because it is the car that inspired me to start modding mine.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
It’s not mine. When I say “we” I mean SpankinTime Motorsports. It belongs to Adam Montague. He also owns the Blue 7 second Redeye (bought it from me) and his daughter Nichole is driving that now. The Grinch is famous out west. It’s a legend (like the Black Ghost) lol. Adam said I can drive it when it returns to the track. That will be a treat for me because it is the car that inspired me to start modding mine.
That’s awesome, great car and I remember seeing it and reading about it when I was having issues with my 4.5 and thought man, that’s the ticket those guys got it all figured out

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
Will be fun to follow a long. I've heard of more than one of those 4.5L Whipples eating bolts from random places unfortunately. Buddy of mine had that happen only the bolt made it past the rotors and trashed his brand new 426 :(
Thanks Speedy, I watch your channel all the time, you definitely seem to have your car dialed in well! Sorry to hear about your buddy's car I would have been furious.

Yep. It was a concern back when the 4.5’s were starting to show some promise. Apparently a number of those got out of Whipple without those screws getting the locktite they needed. Remember WhipCat here? He had one come loose and it got kicked back into the throttle body on shutdown and lodged in the blade. He lucked out. After seeing that I pulled mine apart and did what was necessary.
Yep, that's the case here, no sign of locktite on either of the bolts. I actually read a lot of WhipCats posts and I believe that's where I figured out the wiper arms needed to be bent not to wipe out the bypass valve electronics. Of course I pulled mine and whoever installed the blower didn't clearance the arms and the bypass valve was just one of the problems the car came with. My bolt definitely went on a journey, there are witness marks on the back of the throttle blade, bypass valve, and air inlet before it wedged itself between a rotor and the case, thankfully it stopped there. Anyone with one of these blowers needs to make sure those bolts are loctited and tight IMO.

Had a hate/hate relationship with my 4.5, horribly designed manifold in and out
It definitely wouldn't be my first choice these days, and if the car didn't have one on it when I bought it I never would have gone that route. Also makes regular maintenance a nightmare. That said I think it performs better than a lot of people give it credit for as long as you're working with a tuner that has it sorted out. When I bought the car I had high hopes, but it was put together by a shop that mostly does LS stuff, then tuned by an LS tuner that has never tuned a Mopar before. The first time I took it to the track it went like 10.30 at 133, meanwhile my tune-only 2021 GT500 went 10.16 at 141. I was pretty sour about that. Mike at OST has definitely had this car marching in the right direction though, and it will just continue to improve from here, although it originally wasn't supposed to be this big of a money suck. We all know that's how it goes though lol.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #24
IMG_1746.jpeg

Brown suit Santa just showed up with all these boxes. The Whipple is on the pallet, about to dig in now.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
Billet Whipple goodness.

IMG_1750.jpeg IMG_1749.jpeg IMG_1748.jpeg

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Pretty!

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #27
It’s been a good day for parts showing up. Just got the throttle body, legmaker intake and cometic gaskets. Here’s the Nick Williams 130mm throttle body compared to a headlight for size. Sorry for the crappy picture.

IMG_1761.jpeg IMG_1760.jpeg

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #29
IMG_1804.jpeg
Blowers on, tomorrow need to figure out the power steering pump as the reservoir for the PS pump you have to use with the Whipple 4.5 hits the throttle body. We are hoping a stock reservoir is out of the way but if not will have to look at a remote mount.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
After a solid 3-day thrash the car is back up and running with the 3.8 Whipple. A friend of mine flew across the country to help and we put the blower on along with a whole laundry list of parts I had stockpiled. A few things to note with the 3.8, you will have to notch the metal crossbar that holds the wiper motor and pcm bracket into place along with the cowl in the same area behind the blower if you have the race intercooler as it adds an extra inch of height. The other way to do it would be to space the cradle down to make up the room. This setup will NOT fit under a stock hood which I already knew from measuring it out, so hopefully the Anderson Composites hood gets here soon.

A few things to note when going from the Whipple 4.5 to the 3.8 or likely even the 3.0. If your car has hydraulic power steering you will need to swap back to a stock power steering reservoir, also the coolant tubes for the heater core used in the Whipple 4.5 should be swapped back to stock as the drivers side tube from the 4.5 kit will interfere with the throttle body, at least if you have one of the 130mm units. That can be seen in the picture above my post. What we ended up doing was snaking the coolant hose under the blower like the stock hellcat tube would be and tapped the hole in the water pump for an NPT fitting, which worked perfectly. Other than that the install was fairly straightforward.

While we were at it we installed my AAD rear drag pak kit, TCE 15 inch conversion, GForce Outlaw axles, Per4mance development DIRS diff brace and race brace, rear seat delete and I'm sure there is some other stuff I'm forgetting. I test fit the rear 15 inch billet specialties wheels and realized I need longer studs which totally slipped my mind and would have been a lot nicer to do while the knuckle was off so I'll tackle that next. It also looks like the tire (315/60/15 ET Street R) might be rubbing on the rear shock and I'm going to have to massage the pinch weld a bit more.

Got the car out for the first drive last night and what a difference over the old 4.5. Still need to get it tuned so I didn't get on it too hard but rolled into it from 2500 RPM in 5th up to about half throttle and 5500 RPM and the car pulled surprisingly hard. Hard enough in fact it looks like it hit a torque limit that it never had problems with running full out with the 4.5, so this thing should be making a good bit more power.

Here are some pics.

IMG_1807.jpg IMG_1815.jpg IMG_1816.jpg IMG_1819.jpg IMG_1821.jpg
DCDEDBBF-CB92-4880-B7A5-5FB884401441.JPG

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #31
Over the weekend I got the longer wheel studs in, along with the AWE resonated touring exhaust. Also handled a few other small things that needed to be taken care of. After talking with Whipple I found out why it seemed like the car was hitting a torque limit, the drivers side maps need a T-harness that will keep the computer from reading the MAP reading on the drivers side front map sensor by the bypass valve. Got that installed and taken care of as well and will hopefully get to drive it and get some logs for Mike later today.

Somehow the axle shaft boot on the drivers side is torn completely around, I really have no idea how this happened it's a brand new Gforce outlaw axle with less than 10 miles on it. Does anyone know if you can just replace the boots somehow or am I stuck buying a new axle shaft?

Also I've beaten the crap out of the ribs in the rear fender wells, and cut and folded the pinch weld over and my 315/60/15 ET Street R's still rub a bit in that spot. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or if I'll have to use a small spacer.

70760428994__8971666E-56B2-43FD-8D3F-1173F4B1CD38.png 70761276808__151E935F-24CB-42E5-BFE4-4D16A8F29773.png IMG_1888.png IMG_1903.jpg

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #32
Just spent the past 9 days overhauling my garage. Now I can get back to working on the car, which is currently an hour away from home with a cut-through rear brake line. I definitely should have checked the routing of everything with the car on the ground, but live and learn.

IMG_2203.jpg IMG_2204.jpg IMG_2210.jpg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple rattling yet?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Looking good. You’re going to go fast. What pulley combination are you starting with? After conversations with Whipple about the 3.8, they’re saying to keep the rpm down. Go 20k or slower and you’ll be good. I would suggest starting with the 3.75. We saw 1400whp and ran the 7.8 quarter on the 3.50, so you don’t need to spin that thing to make big power.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Over the weekend I got the longer wheel studs in, along with the AWE resonated touring exhaust. Also handled a few other small things that needed to be taken care of. After talking with Whipple I found out why it seemed like the car was hitting a torque limit, the drivers side maps need a T-harness that will keep the computer from reading the MAP reading on the drivers side front map sensor by the bypass valve. Got that installed and taken care of as well and will hopefully get to drive it and get some logs for Mike later today.

Somehow the axle shaft boot on the drivers side is torn completely around, I really have no idea how this happened it's a brand new Gforce outlaw axle with less than 10 miles on it. Does anyone know if you can just replace the boots somehow or am I stuck buying a new axle shaft?

Also I've beaten the crap out of the ribs in the rear fender wells, and cut and folded the pinch weld over and my 315/60/15 ET Street R's still rub a bit in that spot. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or if I'll have to use a small spacer.

View attachment 107386 View attachment 107387 View attachment 107388 View attachment 107389
Yes, I use a spacer - a lot of people do. Completely fine with the longer studs

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #36
Looking good. You’re going to go fast. What pulley combination are you starting with? After conversations with Whipple about the 3.8, they’re saying to keep the rpm down. Go 20k or slower and you’ll be good. I would suggest starting with the 3.75. We saw 1400whp and ran the 7.8 quarter on the 3.50, so you don’t need to spin that thing to make big power.
I’m running the 4 inch with a 10% ATI lower. That’s got the car making about 23 PSI and it is still the stock bottom end, so I’m not going to take it to the track until I put the diaper on it.

I’ll probably pull the trigger on a 426 short block fairly soon and install that with the OST Demon Plus cam and a set of Thitek heads over the winter and send the car off for a cage.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #37
Yes, I use a spacer - a lot of people do. Completely fine with the longer studs
I don’t think they’re rubbing since the alignment but I did pick up some 3mm hubcentric spacers just incase.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
That's a nice build going on @Jroc !

What is the ET you are looking for?

Linda :)

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I’m running the 4 inch with a 10% ATI lower. That’s got the car making about 23 PSI and it is still the stock bottom end, so I’m not going to take it to the track until I put the diaper on it.

I’ll probably pull the trigger on a 426 short block fairly soon and install that with the OST Demon Plus cam and a set of Thitek heads over the winter and send the car off for a cage.
Right. I lost track that you were temporarily going with the stock block. I remember you saying that now. I’m talking to too many people about stuff. The 4.0 is a good choice then. Adam had a conversation with Whipple about my reliability concerns due to all the chatter and I was told that the 3.8 can have a problem with rotor deflection due to the larger size. It is not designed to be a high rpm blower. 18k for reliability and max of 21k for racing (“pushing it”). We were using the 3.5 (within those limits) at Houston last year and the performance was astounding with no damage to the blower. Just something to keep in mind for later.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
very interested to see what this does with the stock engine and 3.8.