Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Keep an eye out for this upgrade to your 6.2, tuning w/o voiding warranty... WTF!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I find it odd the Charger option doesn't come out for 2 months after the Challenger
Not odd, really.

For one, they know that 2-door owners are aware and alert. Also, this thing isn't approved by the taxi driver's union yet.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Not odd, really.

For one, they know that 2-door owners are aware and alert. Also, this thing isn't approved by the taxi driver's union yet.
I knew I could rely on you for an explanation:)

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
This is for Jimmy N.
There is a body shop next door to my shop that does superb work. He does nothing but high end RR, Ferraris, Lambos and such. He was at my shop friday and said he can do a 2 door Charger.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
If that is what you want to call her,,, yea, I'll do her ay Diamond Dolls.

Anguish

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windsor
State
OH
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
This is for Jimmy N.
There is a body shop next door to my shop that does superb work. He does nothing but high end RR, Ferraris, Lambos and such. He was at my shop friday and said he can do a 2 door Charger.
Shrug. Two-door cars are for people who get confused and end up sitting in the back seat wondering why they can't find the pedals.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Kyle Rittenhouse got it right.

#fourdoorsmorewhores

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Shrug. Two-door cars are for people who get confused and end up sitting in the back seat wondering why they can't find the pedals.
Four door cars are for taking the family to church.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Four door cars are for taking the family to their funeral.
There, I fixed it for you.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Those looking at buying these packages better really look at what you're getting and understand what it actually is. It's a little mis leading.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Those looking at buying these packages better really look at what you're getting and understand what it actually is. It's a little mis leading.
Is the package as good as what you have done? No. Will your package pass smog in CA? No. Will your package keep warranty? No. Theirs will on all of the above. And here in CA that's a big plus.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Is the package as good as what you have done? No. Will your package pass smog in CA? No. Will your package keep warranty? No. Theirs will on all of the above. And here in CA that's a big plus.
Keeps the warranty riding around on the street, and in that case why bother. Just saying it's looking like more a marketing gimmick the more I look in to it.

Thanks for reminding me of another reason I'd never live in CA lol, we voted to eliminate smog altogether here.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have a lot of friends in TN. I suggested to my wife we should move there. Her answer was " Make sure you write me every week "o_O

Ralph

Member ID
Reactions
City
Glendale
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat REWB
I have a lot of friends in TN. I suggested to my wife we should move there. Her answer was " Make sure you write me every week "o_O
Sounds reasonable. When do you plan on moving?

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on these packages (good & bad) !

I recognize it's not a huge HP bump (just 7%) and my car is out of warranty, so that's not much of a sell point to me other than what they are doing is 'reasonably safe'. While I would love to do something like you have done with yours, I simply do not have the knowledge, contacts etc. to make that happen + if I were to have a motor go boom like you had, I'd be totally screwed.

My view of these pkg's (for the std Hellcats) is a little bit more HP, for relatively little money & risk. Not expecting it to result in a fire breathing, 9 second track monster ;)

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
My partner has a '20 Charger that will run high 8's. Fastest car I have ever been in. Unless you've been in a 8 sec car, you don't know what fast is. I would not want this car. I'll stick with my high 10 low 11 slug and be happy.:cool:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Warning: LONG POST :)

I've gone back through some of the logs from my car bone stock, and it was seeing a TON of STKR on 93 octane Shell (good) fuel. I'm guessing over time that had an impact on my rod breaking in the motor. Mine's a 2016 model and I know later years (2017? but 2018 for sure) they pulled timing out of the factory calibration in several places, and removed more timing as IAT climbed, so they saw "something" going on that caused them to do that. At part throttle in "boost" they pulled as much as 8.5 deg out in the mid RPM range. This is why I never recommend anyone run the car hard on pump gas, just not worth it. Like a lot of others, I thought well it's a factory car with a warranty, should be fine or they wouldn't sell it this way but I think those knock events were cumulative over time, weakened something, and helped my motor die early. I had been racing and had a pulley/tune by the time it broke so I paid to play on the new motor. Is what it is.

Power train warranty is 3 years. I never modify a brand new car until it's 1 year old to allow time for things to have issues and most of the time it'll be in the first year. Add to this that racing is NOT covered, and the warranty manual mentions that fact 4 times. So why add more power to a 700- 800hp car that you're not gonna race because you don't want to void your warranty? I guess you can try to split hairs on what's considered "racing" or just be dishonest about it, but that's not how I roll.

Unless you're racing the car you really need to ask why you want more power. Just because is NOT a wrong answer, you just need to decide why it is and act accordingly. I had a set goal for mine, and that was to run 10.00 in any weather as that's the class I normally compete in. Mission accomplished :) If I didn't race, I'd have just gotten a custom tune and been done to be honest, well maybe not but I would now that I've been around the block a couple times LOL.

At first I thought these packages were getting the center stack with the HO button, etc, which would be pretty nice, but it looks like all they are is a pulley and a tune on a rebranded Diablo T2 from best I can tell. I'll know for sure when I see one in person and a tune to review. I'm also wondering what will happen when the owner that doesn't know any better loads up the race gas tune with 93 (or worse 91 or less(!) in the tank). Does the engine eat itself or does it have the knock retard programming included that kicks it out of race gas mode, and if so how? I'm not sure how that would work without the center stack hardware to notify the owner.

Dodge is just copying what we've been doing for 10+ years like they make a habit of doing. Who do you think came up with the hole in the headlight intake idea? Folks from MSHS were doing that 8 years ago and I think it was either a Charger or a Mangum that had it first. I wouldn't trust it's any safer than what you can get from a well known HEMI tuner and likely doesn't include all the other little tweaks they've learned that really make the custom tuned car a joy to drive.

That's my .10 cents :)

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
A lot of valid points right there. My guess they will make the tune hyper sensitive to STKR and protect the shit out of the engine. With the combined cost of purchasing and installation at the dealer will it be worth the net gain, what will be the operating conditions needed to actually yield its full potential ie: ambient temp super low, ideal laboratory controlled conditions. Wonder what the final cost per Hp will end up at. I probably would not be the first to jump in on it. Like you said it could eat itself, or just default to stock if it doesn’t have good quality high octane juice. Life dose have choices here they are. A) I could just sit back with pop corn and let others be the test mule. B) Grow a set and be the first test mule and report back with smiles per miles, or disappointment. C) Have it my way at Hemi King and go with one of quality reputable tuners we all know of and believe in as I am 3 years into the warranty as it is. D) leave it alone and be happy with what I have, not likely to happen with the type of type of syndrome most of us have. Like I said at least we we have choices & that’s not a bad thing.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Pretty sure power train warranty is five years. Bumper to bumper is three.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have two seasons of Powertrain warranty remaining. Good enough to evaluate if it will hold up. I don't expect that the protection is going to last beyond that. I won’t be the first, but if the first(s) tell us good things especially about a hiccup elimination and crisp shifts all the time, I am a buyer. A few more ponies on the road courses along with about 20 degrees cooler for the engine coolant starting temps won’t hurt a thing for me. Hold my beer!