Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Manual Transmissions Are The Best!

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I have followed this thread all the way through.
I kinda feel like I'm sitting at the Barber dinner table...you remember the twins, Tiki and Ronde.
Who's faster, whose better....
Could go back and forth all night long.
Both true greats.
And in the end, big hugs all around. Great stars from the same family.
Sound familiar?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I have followed this thread all the way through.
I kinda feel like I'm sitting at the Barber dinner table...you remember the twins, Tiki and Ronde.
Who's faster, whose better....
Could go back and forth all night long.
Both true greats.
And in the end, big hugs all around. Great stars from the same family.
Sound familiar?
True , all in fun & to each his own !

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
So after your a master of the M6 - what does that get you ?
Quarter mile - Auto
Road Course - Stick or Auto

I know all about slamming gears , I use to have a 6 speed in my 97 Cobra & raced it for many years & 2 years in the Summit Racing bracket series, which I was the only stick car out of 66 cars in the series & I was the only one that drove to & from the events & a street car , all others were trailer queens showing up in Winnebago's & enclosed car haulers & dedicated bracket cars. I was always way behind the 8 ball. I did it for fun though.
The 1st year I finished 10th place out of 66, which I was proud of considering. The second year I had fuel pump, super charger belt pulley issues & burnt up my clutch , all at different times so it dropped me too far back in points to make a difference.
When I finally sold my Cobra , I told myself that I would never buy another stick car for racing, just too much of a disadvantage. They can be fun for the street just playing around.
That's my whole point...fun for the street...for me...that makes them better...never said they were faster....

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
That's my whole point...fun for the street...for me...that makes them better...never said they were faster....
And my comment regarding the M6 and gender...was not a slam at all..nor was it an an attack on any male owners either...face it guys...we've all done our share of street racing...or stoplight to stoplight shenanigans ...do you ever remember a woman with a manual trans putting one on ya...and for those with M6 option ...that are married..how many can say their wives can out shift them...that was the point of my post...If you took it as a slam...you missed the point

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
My female members have been very impressed with a manly man that can use his hands in a proper motion. But have gotten into situations where I was not able to drive home with a gal in the car. And of course she can't operate the vehicle. Troublesome, but able to rent a driver to get her home and the car safe. But I find down shifting in and out of a curve with a stick is no comparison with the 8. Can't be done, but other situations the 8 is much better. Just what I have learned since 14. A bit harder in the mountains but learnable. One of these cars are not to learn with but easier after a few clutches. Control factor.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My female members have been very impressed with a manly man that can use his hands in a proper motion. But have gotten into situations where I was not able to drive home with a gal in the car. And of course she can't operate the vehicle. Troublesome, but able to rent a driver to get her home and the car safe. But I find down shifting in and out of a curve with a stick is no comparison with the 8. Can't be done, but other situations the 8 is much better. Just what I have learned since 14. A bit harder in the mountains but learnable. One of these cars are not to learn with but easier after a few clutches. Control factor.
Agreed...But after 20 years as a CDL driver..(and my earlier years at the track)..my choice..The M6...all day long

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
We have beatin this topic to death...with the exception of this one dynamic...ANYBODY can drive an A8..(man or woman) and compete..VERY FEW men...and even less women can master the M6....and that's a FACT
YUP ! 71 Demon is right. End of discussion.

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #228
Back in high school/university (c.2001) I was in a long term relationship with a girl who had come into some inheritance money and wanted to buy a nice car. I convinced her to buy a 2002 LS1 Camaro, hard top, cloth interior, power seats/windows/mirrors, upgraded tires, and a manual transmission (sound like a familiar formula?). She had no clue how to drive a manual transmission before custom ordering it and I drove it off the lot on delivery (and promptly installed a B&M Ripper shifter); years later as the relationship was coming to an end it was clear she absolutely owned every aspect of that car. Most of my sisters-in-law cut their teeth on a manual transmission too. My oldest daughter knows that she will have a very unique skill set once she can reach the pedals and see over the dash.

The point is, gender has nothing to do with it - only willingness and competency. But, that applies to driving any car really well.

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Just as an afterthought for the M6 people....you can always put the A8 in manual mode and see how quickly you can shift, then the differences in what the auto vs. manual very quickly manifest themselves. You just can't outshift the A8, reactions aren't in the millisecond range that the trans shifts at!

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Having owned both a M6 Challenger and an A8, they are both great, but I could never go back to the manual after driving this super sweet automatic with a lot of power behind it. To me it's not so much that the shifts are so fast, but the deeper gears of the A8 have it so willing and ready to go at all times. Just so much fun being so quick :)

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
So after your a master of the M6 - what does that get you ?
Frustration that you're still gapped by autos. Ask me how I know.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Frustration that you're still gapped by autos. Ask me how I know.
Do tell ?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I raced a manual for 10 years like I've mentioned a few times in this thread. I wasn't John Force but I could drive the thing in the end and still got beat by at least a half second by the autos when I raced them. Put me against another manual driver and it was no contest but the autos nope.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
autos have always been quicker as far back as I can remember even going back to the old torque flite back in the late sixties and seventies. love my M6 but I have noticed not many street racers are scared of the manual hellcats except off of a roll.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
autos have always been quicker as far back as I can remember even going back to the old torque flite back in the late sixties and seventies. love my M6 but I have noticed not many street racers are scared of the manual hellcats except off of a roll.
I found this on another forum and just had to post it on this thread! 27CF2C8E-0D76-4400-AEAC-5D002348582A.jpeg

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Got's to be in control. Control freak even at driving. I have driven both stick, I have, manly man's car from the early 70's and was not dating a girl in2001. My under garments, ha, are stained older than that. Puddle snifters are snot fer me. Just look at the commercials and all sticks. Just the baby boomers whom are retiring and what we had in the 70's. Times will turn around and paddle snifters will be the,,, back stage to sumtin else. No telling. I will die with a dic,, stick in my hand.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
The M6 owner typically understands and respects the decision and logic wrapped up behind someone choosing the A8.
Most A8 owners don't understand and will never "get it" when it comes to owning an M6.

And honestly trying to explain it just a complete waste of time...The important thing is the M6 owners "know", and that is the "Win".

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
230+ posts discussing the meaning of “best”.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Interesting discussion but OP did come back and explain that an M6 is best for him

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #240
Interesting discussion but OP did come back and explain that an M6 is best for him
I don't even remember starting this thread. That early onset Alzheimer's is going to be handy everytime I go to drive this slow miserable thing.