Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Redeye has ticking sound?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I've had both the 2.62 and the 3.09 in my RE. They both have the howl under no load/decel situations. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

And also, I have that tick in the right rear of my car. It's been there since day one. It seems like it's just a normal RE thing.
The gears are supposed to be shot peened right? Maybe the treatment causes the noise. Or, I also read the case hardening on the diff brings it to T6. Maybe the combo of the two? Either way if differential survives some serious beating (once broken in, LOL) and all the problems I ever have with rear differential is some noise I'll be real happy.

shadowsk

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Inman
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango Hellcat
My RE has the slight tick from day 1. My 16 HC did not. I've got used to it.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Plant City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger
Mine has the same pulsating (loping type) rhythmic noise at idle too. My 2015 HC idled steady with no pulsing, but I believe after reading these posts...it is typical for RE Hellcats. Im not worried about it, but it would be a more comfortable experience at idle if there wasn't that noticeable pulsating sound. Kinda reminds me of what Harley Davidsons motorcycle engines look like at idle.....shaking like crazy until you are moving.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Ha, good anology, true, my HD sounds like shit at idle IMO. I have owned this one since about '94 and love it. Like the RE once it is time for business, it is one of the smoothest and strongest on the block too.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Mine makes a ticking sound on the left side on cold start, sounds like an exhaust header leak. fades out when the engine warms up. I'm normally so tuned in to the rear exhaust note, that I don't pay it any attention.
OK Having a lift and remote start I did find one noise in my Redeye.The starter has a heat shield that is attached with two bolts and lays on a stud that is at the front of the starter. That was one little rattle noise that was easy to fix. I used one of the nuts from my wife's scat pack MFER-1 install they have a 8mm head and with a washer tightened up that heat shield to the starter. Had a honey do item to take care of so more to follow from underneath the Redeye.

Member ID
Reactions
City
park ridge
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Octane Red WR RE
My RE has the slight tick from day 1. My 16 HC did not. I've got used to it.
same situation here on my 19RE and 16HC

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
My dashboard has an intermittent squeak/rattle.
No way in hell I am taking it in for those ass hats to diagnose.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
My car has this rear-of-the-car noise too. '20 RE. Rises and falls in tempo with rpm. Once I get moving, I don't hear it anymore.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Moe wine,,, less tic kicking, and or ticketing. Got to fight wit that tomorrow. How can you fight city hall when it is closed do to ?? Ruin your license do to sumtin I can't hit with a 357. All the new critters tick, whine, cry, like a new gal. Butt will getter over it. You want to hear her win,, er and cry. Put some 110 octertane leaded and sea what perpurtrates. It anin't a nice sound. Got my last emblems today for the painter, then ceramic goats all the way around. Yepper dun. God I am so sick of attempting to desirer the language of the show Snot Tuna. If I owned a hot rod in the garage,,, I wood bester working on herFriday,, good Friday,, hope for every ones out there. Good to have a group of critters to keep our thoughts togethers and sum of us that don't. Just talk to the cat and eat another Xanax. Before the cat finds em.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It's ticking bc it's the bomb ! :)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Porter
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Im new to the forum, what landed me here was the ticking sound.

I have a 2019 RE with less than 5000 miles and the ticking sound had me chasing my tail. Took it to a friends exhaust shop and there are zero leaks. I feel like the exhaust gasses pulsating at a certain frequency is the cause. Perhaps wherever the sounds is bouncing from is the perfect recipe to create that acoustic signature. What would be interesting is to understand the exact difference between the demon/re exhaust compared to the hellcat and focus on that.

Reading all the responses here im much less concerned. I’ll take it into the dealer and report the issue for them to take a look so it’s in the system in case it goes bang down the road.

Oh and I’m glad to be here.

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I have a 2019 RE with less than 5000 miles and the ticking sound had me chasing my tail. Took it to a friends exhaust shop and there are zero leaks. I feel like the exhaust gasses pulsating at a certain frequency is the cause. Perhaps wherever the sounds is bouncing from is the perfect recipe to create that acoustic signature. What would be interesting is to understand the exact difference between the demon/re exhaust compared to the hellcat and focus on that.

Reading all the responses here im much less concerned. I’ll take it into the dealer and report the issue for them to take a look so it’s in the system in case it goes bang down the road.

Welcome to our home.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB

We have a 100% consensus that the “ticking” sound described on Redeyes’ in this thread is in fact the fuel pumps. All Redeye owners have NOT had a further problem except hearing it.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Porter
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
We have a 100% consensus that the “ticking” sound described on Redeyes’ in this thread is in fact the fuel pumps. All Redeye owners have NOT had a further problem except hearing it.
Thanks for the confirmation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Beautiful Challenger.
Welcome and congratulations.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
@Dxbtune Besides, RedEyes and regular Hellcats have identical exhaust systems. So it's not the exhaust.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6

Congrats and Welcome. Glad you made it.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Porter
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Come to think of it, and I certainly accept the diagnosis.

Fuel pumps don’t tick in general, if they are weak or starve, they whine.

With the duel fuel pump system, are they pumping at different frequencies? (Harmonics at a certain required rpm)

With my C7Z I have the low pressure fuel pump in the tank that feeds the high pressure piston style pump (cam lobe driven) up to 3000+ PSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
It's even louder with the Rear Seat Delete. :)

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
It's even louder with the Rear Seat Delete. :)
Yep. Sounds more like a tailpipe hitting against something ,like a clearence issue on the floor plan rather than a tick to me.