Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Sad Sad Day my SUPER STOCK IS DOA

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
spun bearing but want to keep numbers matching?
Pull the motor and have it rebuilt.

Dodge will gladly do the repair for you. BUT if you need it to be the way it was from the factory, you will probably have to pay out of pocket for it.
Or order a new one and get rid of this one?
why would dodge charge you to fix it (cheaper) but not charge you for a full service replacement block (more expensive)? My bet is they would rather do the cheaper of two options. if they replaced the spun bearing how would that "not be as it was from the factory". Its still a dodge part and internal. bigger deal long term is the numbers matching block imo, which would be preserved.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
They don’t want their monkeys inside a motor…

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Warranted motors..and transmissions...pull and replace..more often than not...

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow, I get it but that's sad. So much for "certified SRT technicians". Guess they can concentrate on changing the oil, lol

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Wow, I get it but that's sad. So much for "certified SRT technicians". Guess they can concentrate on changing the oil, lol
They pull and replace the block etc. in a few days - done and done right. The best consistency in manufacturing and building is coming out of that factory in Mexico. And, I mean that as a positive comment about Saltillo. I don’t want any misunderstandings or other assumptions from my post.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
why would dodge charge you to fix it (cheaper) but not charge you for a full service replacement block (more expensive)? My bet is they would rather do the cheaper of two options. if they replaced the spun bearing how would that "not be as it was from the factory". Its still a dodge part and internal. bigger deal long term is the numbers matching block imo, which would be preserved.
Looks like a few have answered this question

But its not as simple as replacing a brake rotor/pads or transmission flush.

This will require pulling the motor, full disassembly (because its the crank shaft), and rebuild. Shit has to be just right/balanced etc.
I wouldn't want a Dodge dealership doing that work.
So if the OP wants to keep it numbers matching, he will have to pay out of pocket for an engine shop to rebuild the motor (and maybe go up some cubic inches).

Plus its just cheaper to swap out with an engine Dodge has sitting in inventory and they will refurbish it etc on their end.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Looks like a few have answered this question

But its not as simple as replacing a brake rotor/pads or transmission flush.

This will require pulling the motor, full disassembly (because its the crank shaft), and rebuild. Shit has to be just right/balanced etc.
I wouldn't want a Dodge dealership doing that work.
So if the OP wants to keep it numbers matching, he will have to pay out of pocket for an engine shop to rebuild the motor (and maybe go up some cubic inches).

Plus its just cheaper to swap out with an engine Dodge has sitting in inventory and they will refurbish it etc on their end.
Once SRT approved, my car as delivered back in four working days, complete new heart, lungs and fart tubes, with replaced cooling systems. They had the parts and pieces delivered in two days!

Well said and explained @Boris.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
To be fair, a dealership service bay is not equipped for a proper rebuild. They’d have to send it off to a machine shop for a ton of the work, and still count on their guys for final assembly… too much of a gamble.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
Good technical here, at the end of the day let Dodge take care of it, IMO. Always done me right, as I said before, shit happens

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Once SRT approved, my car as delivered back in four working days, complete new heart, lungs and fart tubes, with replaced cooling systems. They had the parts and pieces delivered in two days!

Well said and explained @Boris.
I wish I was as lucky. Been waiting since April 14th. Took 3.5 weeks to get an ok from FCA for a new heart. Still waiting.💩
I even offered to pay the difference to get a RE motor. Of course that doesn't compute.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I wish I was as lucky. Been waiting since April 14th. Took 3.5 weeks to get an ok from FCA for a new heart. Still waiting.💩
I even offered to pay the difference to get a RE motor. Of course that doesn't compute.
That bites. What are they saying is the hold up?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That bites. What are they saying is the hold up?
Engine is back order. Delivery was to be June 14th then the week later and then end of June. So really no clue.
I offered to pay the difference for a RE long block but of course the PN# doesn't correlate so that isn't possible so far.

OP
U

UNDER PRESSURE

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Tan Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 DODGE CHALLENGER REDEYE SUPER STOCK
Thread Starter #53
Got the update on Friday that Dodge requested more teardown for the replacement. They removed the oil pan and found a grip of metal in the pan, oil filter and that a few of the cylinders were scorned pretty badly. The heavy tech working on the car thinks that the bearings used were the wrong size and that it would not have been noticed until the car heated up and things started to swell. I could be waiting for 1-2 months for a motor once approved since all of the H/C R/E motors are on restriction. The only real good info I received was the fact that the motor will be assigned to the VIN. Good info thanks DGatzby.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Got the update on Friday that Dodge requested more teardown for the replacement. They removed the oil pan and found a grip of metal in the pan, oil filter and that a few of the cylinders were scorned pretty badly. The heavy tech working on the car thinks that the bearings used were the wrong size and that it would not have been noticed until the car heated up and things started to swell. I could be waiting for 1-2 months for a motor once approved since all of the H/C R/E motors are on restriction. The only real good info I received was the fact that the motor will be assigned to the VIN. Good info thanks DGatzby.
so remains numbers matching? wow wish they did that in 60s, lol

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Boy that 1 to 2 month delay would really be problematic if say you lived in the North East...and didn't drive it for the winter...sadly ..have no idea on what if any compensation would be in order...man that really sucks...

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
..have no idea on what if any compensation would be in order...
That's a good point. Don't mean to rub salt in the wound @UNDER PRESSURE but this is one of the badder horror type F'u^&ed Up stories I've heard about. I mean this is basically a brand new, flag ship, super star, super car, high priced vehicle made by the company. And it basically comes with a blown motor(ie. ruined) out of the gate. Soooo what's his compensation for being without the car for however long it takes? And his aggravation?. Is it monetary? OR do they owe him a car of "equal or greater" value to use while he waits for his to be done? At least they should have to do the latter. At least.

Last edited:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Boy that 1 to 2 month delay would really be problematic if say you lived in the North East...and didn't drive it for the winter...sadly ..have no idea on what if any compensation would be in order...man that really sucks...
I agree. How about buy the car back at what I paid and lets start from scratch...new order new car, new motor, etc...after all with used car prices sky high the dealer can do fine..and if not, write the loss off. better than royally screwing the customer which is whats happening here...

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
No such thing as numbers matching like vin stamped on block anymore. Just a bar code decal.

I'd definitely ask for some concessions. My 2016 Camaro 2SS had some funky torque converter problem that took 2 months to get parts for. I called Chevy and told them I didn't want the car and to buy it back. They offered me a 5 year b2b warranty as an option so I accepted. Never planned to mod the car and added a bit of value when I sold it. You can ask for the payments be reimbursed and stuff like that since you don't have use of the vehicle.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
-Makes me wonder if they are actually putting these engines on a dyno for 42 minutes like they used to claim.....

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mine seemed too easy. They should be doing the same for everyone. Ship in the long block and add a new SC and any other busted or defective items, remove and replace; done.