Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Super Stock tech info.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
It's pretty quiet in here lately so I thought I'd think out loud some...
We're back from the gulf and it'll be some weeks before we head back down. I think I'm going to put another 500-ish miles on the car before I go back to the track just to loosen it up some more and enjoy driving it. I'm considering possibly renting Huntsville one day in October for a good day of just sorting the car out. I'll probably go ahead and pull the rest of the weight out and put it in personal best trim if I can get a good low DA day.
So.. that's got me thinking about overall weight when it's in PB trim. My '19 RE weighed 4425 sitting on the starting when it ran it's best numbers.
I already did the math on the SS with my typical Tuesday night setup. The PB setup is a good bit lighter so I thought I'd run through it here too. I think this is a good exercise for us all so we can begin to establish some idea of the weight we're actually running these cars at.

Starting with the base weight of 4400 I'll remove or add:

Billet Specialties Win lights w/ Hoosier fronts and MT 305/45-17 ETStreet R's rear. They are 98 lbs lighter than the stock wheels/tires.
Lightweight battery. It's ordered and I haven't weighed either but I understand it's a solid 30 lb savings.
Remove rear seat - 45 lb
Remove trunk liner, air pump, etc. - 15 lb
Remove front pass seat - 65 lb
Washer fluid - 8 lb
Remove front sway bar - 25 lbs
Minimal fuel load - 30 lbs (when loosely compared to half tank)

My math put the "minuses" at 316 lb.
The "pluses" are me and the DIRS at 241 lb
4400 - 316 + 241 = 4325

That's an even 100 lbs lighter than my near identical '19 sunroof car that had the stock battery.

Thoughts? Ideas for easy other weight removal?
For me I don't mind removing the easy weight but I don't care to go past that really.

OP
M

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
Thread Starter #82
It's nit picking, but I was going to remove the wipers too. Easy. Maybe 2.5 lbs.
Mine should be about the same as yours with the addition of the rear seat delete package.
Not sure but I think it adds 15 lbs.
Do your Win Lights have the beadlock or not?

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Mine are non beadlock.. lighter.

OP
M

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #84
Mine too. Have they been moving on the rim at all?

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Demon style "open end" lug nuts: 10 ounces total (dead weight) = about 3 lbs. (rotating) ! :D:D:D:D

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Mine too. Have they been moving on the rim at all?
Always. I have the Billet Specialties as well as Welds, both non bead lock, and they both move a pretty good amount every run.

OP
M

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #87
So there is no point in having them balanced.

I have been using the Katech titanium 12 point lug nuts on my last 3 cars without issue.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
So there is no point in having them balanced.
Lately I've been having the rim balanced before mounting the tire and then not bothering to balance the tire. Seems to work ok.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yo Shelbeyeville,
I stay on the gulf but from Tennessee,,, Chaaaattamoogerville. The dude down the street has a 1970 S and S and a 392. I have the black H/C with satin finish leather and satin interior. Duing burn outs at 6 pm.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If tires are moving on the rim, try upping the air pressure a tick if not already. Mine moved some at 17-18 psi and have stayed in place at 20psi.

OP
M

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #91
If tires are moving on the rim, try upping the air pressure a tick if not already. Mine moved some at 17-18 psi and have stayed in place at 20psi.
Thanks for the tip Speedy. I may need to break out the bottle of molasses and glue them down.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I routinely run my Weld w the 315/50's at 19-20 lbs. They slip a good 2-3" every run. More if there's shake at the hit.
The Billet Specialties w the 305/45 is only used on a good surface(HRP, Darlington, etc.). They are always at 21 or more. They still slip, although only about half what the other set does.
I've just accepted it and won't be worrying about it.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I got mine past 1k miles. Still no check engine light. This is a welcome change as both my RE's had the light on well before now. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself. lol
Here's a pic of my ride 20" around wheel/tires..
Resized_20210928_150210.jpeg

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I wheel go and janx the stang next door to give the good moe joe you need.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I got mine past 1k miles. Still no check engine light. This is a welcome change as both my RE's had the light on well before now. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself. lol
Here's a pic of my ride 20" around wheel/tires..
View attachment 55410
Car looks amazing. I can't wait to see it run in a few months..............

Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
ORDERING 2022 HC RE AS SOON AS DODGE TAKES ORDERS
Hi all. I am very interested in getting a SS or a Charger HC RE. I think the SSs comes with the Nitto NTO5R cheater slicks from the factory correct?? If so I would think they are hell to drive on a rainy day correct? I have never had a car with cheater slicks. If I get a SS, it would be frequently driven rather than sitting in the garage waiting to be raced on the weekend.

So I would need a good everyday performance tire for this car. I noticed Nitto makes the NT555 G2 tire that they advertise as being good in the rain. Has anyone used this tire? I see it is only a 3 season tire. I have read from an online tire store that they are dangerous below 40 degrees F. What do you guys use in the winter? I live in Houston but it can and does get below 40.

I have looked for other tires in the 315/40R18 size and come up with only Nitto. That might be a problem for me as Nitto only makes 3 season tires in this size. Am I missing something here? I can't find anyone that makes a 4 season tire in this size. Thanks.

Robert

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Robe
Hi all. I am very interested in getting a SS or a Charger HC RE. I think the SSs comes with the Nitto NTO5R cheater slicks from the factory correct?? If so I would think they are hell to drive on a rainy day correct? I have never had a car with cheater slicks. If I get a SS, it would be frequently driven rather than sitting in the garage waiting to be raced on the weekend.

So I would need a good everyday performance tire for this car. I noticed Nitto makes the NT555 G2 tire that they advertise as being good in the rain. Has anyone used this tire? I see it is only a 3 season tire. I have read from an online tire store that they are dangerous below 40 degrees F. What do you guys use in the winter? I live in Houston but it can and does get below 40.

I have looked for other tires in the 315/40R18 size and come up with only Nitto. That might be a problem for me as Nitto only makes 3 season tires in this size. Am I missing something here? I can't find anyone that makes a 4 season tire in this size. Thanks.

Robert
You are on the right track with your thoughts about the G2. You are also correct that Nitto is the only tire manufacturer that makes the 315/40-18 size. However, all three versions Nitto offers haven't been produced in months, everyone seems to be out of them and last I heard(3 wks ago) there is no estimated time as to when there will be more produced.
As for the low temp thing, I rarely take mine out in cold weather so it's really not much of a concern for me personally.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hello it's Hickster.
Got a new idea that some one can run with. A new chiller. Not a new concept except to this industry. Let's see if someone is interested in evolving this one. It is called an absorption chiller that is fueled with by products, in my past industry, off of waste heat. The ones I have been involved with, 3 industrials ones in the country, have worked off of turbines. Turbines that produce electricity. The by product is used to produce chill water that produces A/C. In a 3 stage form, but this by product turns the twin turbos on the car. Then where does it go?? Out the tail pipe. Instead of using the energy from the a/c compressor reroute the waste heat from the turbos to run the cooling system. In the industrial chiller installation, these machines do not use electricity but exhaust from the turbine to run the chiller. Same difference but smaller installation. Last one I worked on was at UCF, Orlando, Fl . All gov work, of course. Very strange set up by the Obama people and extremely illegal. One of the only ones I did not blow the whistle on. Good friend I was engineering with. My last huraw but the system has been around for a long time and will be. Waste heat.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Had a U0100 code pop up, maybe from having a battery charger hooked up to it ??? I’m just not sure. Called dealer next Monday appointment, then on the way to PPF and ceramic coating gas cap check light came on. It might be possessed.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States