Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Redeye low volume numbers will this make her the sought after one years down the road?

Is the Redeye a true sought after collector down the road

• Total voters

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
People will have to want these cars for them to be "collectible". I'm not sure that will happen. The reason the 70s era car craze happened is because of TV and the internet and folks who wanted to relive their childhoods or had brothers or Dads with these cars that they admired.

Look at what most kids today drive, if they even drive at all, and the cars they covet. Most I know don't think the Challenger is something worth considering. They're more in to the latest Honda Civic (and paying ADM!!!) to get one. Wouldn't surprise me if the first Tesla is the collector car in the future. My wife and I sold a 15 year old Mac Book on Ebay to some nut that collects them. That's the world we live in now.

I'm real curious what will come next for the Challenger. The heavy discounts in 2019 don't bode well. If the cars were flying off the shelves they wouldn't be discounted. I just hope they continue to make them a bit longer, and maybe get that Hellephant in one before they call it quits. The advertising was way down this year as well I noticed.
I dunno....I tend to think they might be sought after maybe 20-30 years from now. Problem will be finding one worth restoring. And it won't be like the old days where you can throw another coil on it....maybe file the points a little, spray ether down the carb and get it running. With all the electronics and computers these cars have along with the wiring etc....parts might be tough or expensive to come by 30 years from now to get anything in this era running down the road. Having been a teenager in the late 70's, the models of cars some of the younger crowd seem to want is kind of interesting to me. Late 70's Malibu's, Buicks, Oldsmobiles etc....these cars were pretty much low compression, low HP cars back then. Some were land yachts by today's standards. But then again - I suppose if you're doing a resto-mod thing where you're switching to a modern engine and drive train it's kinda neat.

As far as the future of cars in general, I agree that they'll probably get a little smaller, lighter with 4-6 cylinders with turbos or superchargers in order to meet fuel mileage and emissions standards. I also suspect a mix of more hybrids and all electric cars too. And IF/WHEN someone comes up with an all-electric car with a range of 400+ miles between charging, ICE might slowly go away for good. Heck....even with the ICE's we have now -- it's amazing to me how much power is being made with these small cube engines. I wouldn't count on the Hellephant coming out to the general public however. I think it'll remain in the same category similar to old GM 572 crate engines...

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I dunno....I tend to think they might be sought after maybe 20-30 years from now. Problem will be finding one worth restoring. And it won't be like the old days where you can throw another coil on it....maybe file the points a little, spray ether down the carb and get it running. With all the electronics and computers these cars have along with the wiring etc....parts might be tough or expensive to come by 30 years from now to get anything in this era running down the road. Having been a teenager in the late 70's, the models of cars some of the younger crowd seem to want is kind of interesting to me. Late 70's Malibu's, Buicks, Oldsmobiles etc....these cars were pretty much low compression, low HP cars back then. Some were land yachts by today's standards. But then again - I suppose if you're doing a resto-mod thing where you're switching to a modern engine and drive train it's kinda neat.

As far as the future of cars in general, I agree that they'll probably get a little smaller, lighter with 4-6 cylinders with turbos or superchargers in order to meet fuel mileage and emissions standards. I also suspect a mix of more hybrids and all electric cars too. And IF/WHEN someone comes up with an all-electric car with a range of 400+ miles between charging, ICE might slowly go away for good. Heck....even with the ICE's we have now -- it's amazing to me how much power is being made with these small cube engines. I wouldn't count on the Hellephant coming out to the general public however. I think it'll remain in the same category similar to old GM 572 crate engines...
Rivian‘s new electric pickup has a 400 mile range already I believe.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm not an electric guy. I don't at all consider myself old school, but I just don't think it's for me. I like too much of the other senses involved in piloting a gas powered vehicle. Not sure what will become of folks like me long term. The folks that are swarming to electric vehicle see them no different than their microwave. Just an appliance.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
People will have to want these cars for them to be "collectible". I'm not sure that will happen. The reason the 70s era car craze happened is because of TV and the internet and folks who wanted to relive their childhoods or had brothers or Dads with these cars that they admired.

Look at what most kids today drive, if they even drive at all, and the cars they covet. Most I know don't think the Challenger is something worth considering. They're more in to the latest Honda Civic (and paying ADM!!!) to get one. Wouldn't surprise me if the first Tesla is the collector car in the future. My wife and I sold a 15 year old Mac Book on Ebay to some nut that collects them. That's the world we live in now.

I'm real curious what will come next for the Challenger. The heavy discounts in 2019 don't bode well. If the cars were flying off the shelves they wouldn't be discounted. I just hope they continue to make them a bit longer, and maybe get that Hellephant in one before they call it quits. The advertising was way down this year as well I noticed.
Agree with everything but the Hellephant aspect of this commentary. Just don't see that happening.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Rivian‘s new electric pickup has a 400 mile range already I believe.
You believe, or they believe?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
You believe, or they believe?
I meant I thought I read it. I mean cmon if it’s on the internet it must be true.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm not an electric guy. I don't at all consider myself old school, but I just don't think it's for me. I like too much of the other senses involved in piloting a gas powered vehicle. Not sure what will become of folks like me long term. The folks that are swarming to electric vehicle see them no different than their microwave. Just an appliance.
I agree. I think im more curious than anything at this point. Not sure if I’d rather have a 1100hp toaster or an 800hp gas car lol.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State