Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whipple IATs during a pass?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
What are your IATs during a pass? Are the cooling plates that much better?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Iat isn’t where you Will see the gain but mat and aircharge will be lower

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
These things tend to run hot u need the upgraded intercooler bricks for sure. The interchiller is a must as well......

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
These things tend to run hot u need the upgraded intercooler bricks for sure. The interchiller is a must as well......
what are the temps? Whipple doesn't have a upgraded brick on their site?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Aftermarket, over a thousand for upgraded bricks. Not even sure they have them for genv. With the 4.5 I never saw above 110 on the hottest day in traffic but still got 150 at the top, stock cooling system. I also had a 160 degree thermostat, which failed. Would not recommend for cold climates as car will never learn correct fuel trims. I know, apples and oranges

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Run hot compared to what?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Run hot compared to what?
You have a custom 4.5 setup with a spacer in between right? Do you have another cooling element in the spacer?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You have a custom 4.5 setup with a spacer in between right? Do you have another cooling element in the spacer?
I had that before the Gen 5 came out. I did use a plenum spacer for the 4.5 and it was a big improvement. I ran a Interchiller with a 7 gallon reservoir/ice box with that to keep it below critical temps at 23 lbs of boost. The whole point of that spacer is to open up the plenum volume as the factory 4.5 was compromised to make it fit under the hood My question is concerning the 3.0. I know that there are some tuner/shops that have told people the Gen 5 Whipples “run hot”. The bigger bricks on my 3,0 are because it’s the DragPak version. The 3.8 has a intercooler up-grade that uses a spacer and larger bricks. My billet version has that.

Last edited:
OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Can someone please provide temps before and at top of run?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I’ll look at a log when I get home this afternoon. I run a drag size killer chiller with a 2 gallon baffled tank that acts like a 6 ft column of cold 50-60F coolant, I get a 1/3 or a Mile WOT pass before getting warmer recycled coolant. What I do know without even looking at a log from memory is my MAT seldom goes over 130. But I’ve not run in 80+ temps yet either.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Can someone please provide temps before and at top of run?
Apples to oranges unless they are running the exact same engine under similar conditions. A properly functioning interchiller will keep your temps below the critical point that starts pulling timing to protect your motor from detonation. That’s all that matters.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Apples to oranges unless they are running the exact same engine under similar conditions. A properly functioning interchiller will keep your temps below the critical point that starts pulling timing to protect your motor from detonation. That’s all that matters.
i would agree, there are two things I’m fighting right now, jlt is not sealed so i think im getting wash, not having enough time for coolant to get cold.

think I need a sealed airbox and im about to dilute with distilled water to get colder faster, these 2.4 ihi get hot quick when you spin the hell out of them.

was trying to see if switching to a 3.0 would help with temps.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
i would agree, there are two things I’m fighting right now, jlt is not sealed so i think im getting wash, not having enough time for coolant to get cold.

think I need a sealed airbox and im about to dilute with distilled water to get colder faster, these 2.4 ihi get hot quick when you spin the hell out of them.

Using the chiller at the track was always a balancing act. You have to run the motor to get it working. So the engine gets hot to keep the blower cool. That’s why I ran ice at the track to help with the quick cooldown. They worked well together. The chiller kept the ice from melting as fast and the ice gave me the immediate cool charge temps without needing to run the motor for an extended period in staging. I do not have the experience you are looking for concerning the standard version of the 3.0. All if my observed experience is with the DragPak 3.0 and the “Hotrod” version of the 3.8 with the big intercooler. Both are super cool running compared to any other supercharger.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat

My 2.4 IHI 2.72/+10 lower at 21 lbs of boost gave cooler MAT then my 3.0 Whipple with a 3.0/+10 lower does at 23 lbs of boost.
What speed you running your pump at??

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have the 3.8 drag pack with upgraded intercoolers. Ordered right from Whipple.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
My 2.4 IHI 2.72/+10 lower at 21 lbs of boost gave cooler MAT then my 3.0 Whipple with a 3.0/+10 lower does at 23 lbs of boost.
What speed you running your pump at??
3k, went in and made all settings match Track mode.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You got me on that point. So few Hellcats run them that they get forgotten. Maggie’s are very cool running. I have seen that and they are impressive in that category. If I wanted to just have the baddest sounding blown street car, that would be my choice.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yea I rarely see them on Hellcat platforms not sure why. My 2650 made 900 whp on 93 octane I dont remember the temps but even without the interchiller they were rediculously low but geez they have been working on a new blower for like (3) years now so their marketing is horrible I mean the only blower anyone talks about is the Whipple smh.

The Magnuson will make more power than the 3.0 Whipple on 93 octane. Takes way more power to turn that 3.0 than the 2650. On E85 the 3.0 is the clear winner when turning the boost up. On 93 octane its not and considering the majority of members here run 93 octane the Magi is just the better choice and the Magi will surely run cooler.

You got me on that point. So few Hellcats run them that they get forgotten. Maggie’s are very cool running. I have seen that and they are impressive in that category. If I wanted to just have the baddest sounding blown street car, that would be my choice.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I just emailed you a log from @vortecd car 3.0 upper stock lower. Was in the 70s day of the log