Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whipple IATs during a pass?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
I just emailed you a log from @vortecd car 3.0 upper stock lower. Was in the 70s day of the log
holy shit that iat stayed below timing pull even with a 118* start. Thinking of getting rid of my ihi now. 3.0 + ic chiller would be nuts…

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
holy shit that iat stayed below timing pull even with a 118* start. Thinking of getting rid of my ihi now. 3.0 + ic chiller would be nuts…
They do better than the ihi as far as temps. He has the whipple intake as well.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
They do better than the ihi as far as temps. He has the whipple intake as well.
might be selling old block now to afford a 3.0… *sigh*

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@RGPIII also has the interchiller with his Whipple so his should be low

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Somewhere on this forum I have a decent write up about iats with my whipple 4.5 and my mods to get them better

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
3k, went in and made all settings match Track mode.
I run my pump at 3k too at idle and all driving and goes to 5600 at WOT

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Somewhere on this forum I have a decent write up about iats with my whipple 4.5 and my mods to get them better
AKA.. The Dead Sea Scrolls 😂. That was back when we were facing off with 185 mph pulls on the Gila Bend Half Mile and trying to keep those 4.5’s cool. 615868CC-3967-4B70-BE87-C142075BA5D1.jpeg

Last edited:

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Here’s the 3.0 back to back 1/4 runs last month

D43C24B1-E6AC-414E-B5C9-BF5EA584D656.jpeg BBD6286F-9206-47EC-9BDF-7DD3BA06EBDA.jpeg 829D9768-C267-4A76-B377-2ACCA3FBBCBF.jpeg 77578986-9199-450B-8659-C5D5F73119B5.jpeg

Here’s the 2.4 2.72/+10 combo, yea, it got IAT timing pull hot by the end of the 1/4 but it was 90 F ambient that day

1F8F87B8-6EA5-46F4-9F4A-711F9DDB771E.jpeg AB79EA4B-29F7-4EC5-8D89-0399D709F15E.jpeg

I only run E80-85, no more 93 for me so the Whipple fits the bill but Whipples start rattling wayyyy too often.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
AKA.. The Dead Sea Scrolls 😂. That was back when we were facing off with 185 mph pulls on the Gila Bend Half Mile and trying to keep those 4.5’s cool. View attachment 107810
Speaking of the No Fly Zone…are you going in October?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Speaking of the No Fly Zone…are you going in October?
No more half mile for me. It’s set up for 1/4 mile only now with the TH400 and 3.40 gears. I don’t think that would allow it to run the 200+ mph it would be capable of now.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
No more half mile for me. It’s set up for 1/4 mile only now with the TH400 and 3.40 gears. I don’t think that would allow it to run the 200+ mph it would be capable of now.
Copy that. I'm likely gonna run my basically bone-stock ride there and was hoping for 150-ish...? You know how temps are here in October, really pissed I missed out on the March even when the air was cool...relatively speaking!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Copy that. I'm likely gonna run my basically bone-stock ride there and was hoping for 150-ish...? You know how temps are here in October, really pissed I missed out on the March even when the air was cool...relatively speaking!
Big problem with traction on that old sand covered runway. Most of the Hellcats couldn’t make it to the finish line without a a ice box or chiller before it shut down due to IAT. Good luck. It is fun!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Youz guyz run a totally dafrant system than us hea in da south. Do you know if you don't salute de liquad in da intercooler it will freeze and break youalls pipes and fittens. Pump 1st den da fittens. Need to dilute da inhibited glycol wit da tap watah. If snot,, boom. I have had 2,500 ton glycol chillers freeze up and crack on me cause da mixture wasn't right. The chiller manufactor sets up an account wit a chemical company to run cleaning agents and sulverate acid thru em. Clean and make sure day don't freeze up. You can purchase a small $$ critter fer your ra dit e a tor to measure this acceptable. Tad critter 2 luck at ia alot cheaper than a pump, fittins, and or pipes splitten. I used 2 run dees machines at -40 sdeegrees. At ice cream factories, blast freezers, chocolate manufactories,, hospitals. Now you want 2 talk ah bout clean air?? There is UV lights I have installedd into air handlers 40 tons and better. How da hos spitals keep surgical tools germ free. I have bean installen them into AHUs in power plants, hospitals, surgical centers// dead peoples, sport theaters, ect s. I have a 25 ton in my mouses ass. Coil never gets dirty. My house, great fer young developing kids lungs.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
sent him mine with the whipple in the heat at Rockingham with little to no chiller time before the pass. still never went over 111.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
I'm just amazed at how much cooler it is, however after reading a failure thread on the other forums and reaching out to people that have had issues. I don't think the 3.0 is as reliable as any 2.4/2.7. High iats + running > low iats and not running...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm just amazed at how much cooler it is, however after reading a failure thread on the other forums and reaching out to people that have had issues. I don't think the 3.0 is as reliable as any 2.4/2.7. High iats + running > low iats and not running...
There have been too many failures for sure. With all the revisions you would think they would have it figured out. Mine is a J and there have been K failures

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I can only speak from my own limited personal experience with some observations of a few other shop cars that I have access to. We have three early DragPak 3.0’s and have run the hell out of them. By that I mean 2.75/+10 and motors spinning 7000 rpm on 100’s of passes without issue. The street versions are on many of the shop customers cars and while I’m not really involved with those, I have not heard that there is a ongoing problem where they are returning with issues. In fact I have not heard of any. I have heard that some tuner/mod people are bad mouthing the Whipples (saying they run hot or some other bs issue). Seems they always have some other something they want to sell (like expensive turbo builds). Guess what I think about that/those 😡 So far…. I think there are some possible concerns with the 3.8. I have seen that they make incredible HP!! But one of the two we have raced had a issue. Speculation with Whipple is the possibility that using the 2-step at a low rpm (1500) on the starting line could be the cause of that with this supercharger. However that same thing was done with our first 3.8 (mine) and there wasn’t a problem. It was also common practice with all of our DragPak 3.0’s and again… no problem. Years ago now…. There was a lot of bad mouthing the 4.5. “It was slower than the IHI and a total waste of money”. “Nobody” could get one down the track.. yada yada. Then a couple of us went fast and it was…. How’d you do that? I don’t doubt that there are some legit problems with a few individual superchargers and at this point you can argue there shouldn’t be any. I agree. On the 3.8…. I don’t know what to think except it makes a shit ton of power.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My Whipple 3.0 has always run like a scolded dog and stays nice and cool when its been on the car. That being said its back at whipple for a second time in 4 months with some noise issues. the downtime in the middle of a season is very frustrating to say it nicely.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I can only speak from my own limited personal experience with some observations of a few other shop cars that I have access to. We have three early DragPak 3.0’s and have run the hell out of them. By that I mean 2.75/+10 and motors spinning 7000 rpm on 100’s of passes without issue. The street versions are on many of the shop customers cars and while I’m not really involved with those, I have not heard that there is a ongoing problem where they are returning with issues. In fact I have not heard of any. I have heard that some tuner/mod people are bad mouthing the Whipples (saying they run hot or some other bs issue). Seems they always have some other something they want to sell (like expensive turbo builds). Guess what I think about that/those 😡 So far…. I think there are some possible concerns with the 3.8. I have seen that they make incredible HP!! But one of the two we have raced had a issue. Speculation with Whipple is the possibility that using the 2-step at a low rpm (1500) on the starting line could be the cause of that with this supercharger. However that same thing was done with our first 3.8 (mine) and there wasn’t a problem. It was also common practice with all of our DragPak 3.0’s and again… no problem. Years ago now…. There was a lot of bad mouthing the 4.5. “It was slower than the IHI and a total waste of money”. “Nobody” could get one down the track.. yada yada. Then a couple of us went fast and it was…. How’d you do that? I don’t doubt that there are some legit problems with a few individual superchargers and at this point you can argue there shouldn’t be any. I agree. On the 3.8…. I don’t know what to think except it makes a shit ton of power.
It is a love hate with whipple. We do not have another blower on the market anywhere close to performing like the 3.0 and certainly not like the 3.8.
With that being said the failures are frustrating. There have been more quality control issues than just the blowers failing. Issues with cross over cables and or fuel pressure sensors detreating or having some sort of junk in them from factory.
I wish we had another option more competition just pushes the market farther and farther. If maggy or well anyone had an offering competing with Whipple we would see both competing back and forth.

With all that being said when a customer says a time they want to run and I know it is more than the ihi can handle I say well then go Whipple. Whipple has at least been honoring their warranty unlike some other companies.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I am not running a whipple but i AM running an IC Chiller and Bumper mounted Res installed by Allpar Garage this season.

IAT's are no longer an issue and it's nice. last year even with the BMR box it got TOASTY.

We'll see how good it does when we drop to the 2.50 next time out.