Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Deciding this weekend whether to return the Hellcat or keep it

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #21
Following this closely. My Daytona is up in May. My son is eager to buy it out but the residual is higher than he'd like. Mine is thru US Bank though. But if other lenders are possibly incentivizing buyouts, it doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.
Speaking of valuations - while on the phone with USAA (and then adding in CC) I was also checking my values on three websites (consumer reports, NADA, and Edmunds) and all of them were showing that this 2017 has a dealer trade in value of $4000+ more than my residual, and that is in "rough" condition. Altogether, this is what I was after when I negotiated the deal (saving money at the end if I wanted to buy it).

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #22
Mag...I would have to say...if the cars in reasonably good shape...and not have 100,000 miles on it two years from now...I would keep it...the only down side risk...being liquid when the fire sales start of guys that HAVE to bail out...and trust me ...there commin
Have 22500 or so on the car. And I value the "known quantity" factor highly (I know everything about the car). Interesting to watch the bottom fall out though. That is, if my businesses don't don't go under and I can afford to remain amongst the living.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Who specifically at CC are you hearing this from? I've been talking with them and not got that at all. But, I have not been talking with them about "buying" through them.
The only impetus for that deviation...is their concern about getting their residual at auction...but that figure seems awful high...but if true...that's a score..grab it

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Have 22500 or so on the car. And I value the "known quantity" factor highly (I know everything about the car). Interesting to watch the bottom fall out though. That is, if my businesses don't don't go under and I can afford to remain amongst the living.
from a financial standpoint...there is no blueprint going forward...My guess..every entity of the auto industry..from manufacturing to finance..is deeply concerned...the financial end may be more receptive to a modification to induce you to buy...they would rather have your money..than your car...maybe

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
That is my reason. If Charger RE doesn't come out or if it is 100k+...you will have to make a choice and either buy new again or used (unknown quantity) to get back into another Hellcat.

On another note, not sure I can go 2 years without a Hellcat story...so I am biased. :sneaky:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
That is my reason. If Charger RE doesn't come out or if it is 100k+...you will have to make a choice and either buy new again or used (unknown quantity) to get back into another Hellcat.

On another note, not sure I can go 2 years without a Hellcat story...so I am biased. :sneaky:
Hell....I don't care if he makes up the stories...I'll still put the popcorn on

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Unless your engine is burning a lot of motor oil (tires are ok) or have a door panel issue, etc.

FB_IMG_1587229509029.jpg

Keep it. Trade in down the road if you want to make the jump to the Charger RE. I wouldn't let your Hellcat go (assuming there isn't something wrong with your Hellcat). Big decision for sure. Follow your gut.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Unless your engine is burning a lot of motor oil (tires are ok) or have a door panel issue, etc.

View attachment 16111

Keep it. Trade in down the road if you want to make the jump to the Charger RE. I wouldn't let your Hellcat go (assuming there isn't something wrong with your Hellcat). Big decision for sure. Follow your gut.
Hope Mags not like me...I cant help but follow my gut...I put on a ton of weight this winter

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
Who specifically at CC are you hearing this from? I've been talking with them and not got that at all. But, I have not been talking with them about "buying" through them.
Two members on the other site claim to have been offered it.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Mine isn't a lease, but what's interesting to me is that this is the first vehicle I've owned that as I near the end of my loan there is still significant street value left in it.

I plan on keeping mine, if it does go for some reason, it'll be because I'm upgrading to a RE.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Mine isn't a lease, but what's interesting to me is that this is the first vehicle I've owned that as I near the end of my loan there is still significant street value left in it.

I plan on keeping mine, if it does go for some reason, it'll be because I'm upgrading to a RE.
WHAT????...That's not gonna work...atrophy in yer left leg...your wife wont like the limp...aside from the fact yer gonna look like a Jerk with that hood...RE.....just when you showed signs of redeeming qualities....jeeez...Hick on Shine makes more sense:confused::confused::confused:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Keep it and mod it. And my shine is just fine,, if I could get to Tenn,,but. That's a few on ths off. Got into the 40,s this week. Slowed the molting process down a bit. I would keep it for a couple factors. You know the car and if you order a new one,,, leed time and delivery time. Makes me think what I owe on mine. I put $15,000 down, pid 1 year of high interest, paid another $15,000 down and have paid 1 year of low interest. I will take a look. But, the way the economy is in,,, keep it.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Keep it and mod it. And my shine is just fine,, if I could get to Tenn,,but. That's a few on ths off. Got into the 40,s this week. Slowed the molting process down a bit. I would keep it for a couple factors. You know the car and if you order a new one,,, leed time and delivery time. Makes me think what I owe on mine. I put $15,000 down, pid 1 year of high interest, paid another $15,000 down and have paid 1 year of low interest. I will take a look. But, the way the economy is in,,, keep it.
Sage advice hick ole boy...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I will look at the pay off and that will throw me right into a Cab bottle,,, for apatite reason only.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
I’d keep it. Not having to pay sales tax on the buyout is +/-$3,000 value compared to another lease or purchase. I’m not sure about your state, but most states also give you credit for the trade-in value so you only pay tax on the balance if you decide on something else later.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Magnified,
What color is your Charger?

Anguish

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windsor
State
OH
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The way I see it:

Option 1: Keep the car, giving yourself the gift of a well-maintained vehicle whose highest depreciation years have been paid-for.
Option 2: Turn the car in for a new lease, giving someone else the gift of a well-maintained vehicle whose highest depreciation years have been paid-for.

Seems like an easy choice to me.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Keep it and trade once the RE prices come down or in few years they’re supposed to come out with that redesign and might change your thoughts all together. Either way you won’t be hellcatless and nobody wants that

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #40

View attachment 16111

Whose car is that? There's got to be a story behind that beyond "it just happened" lol