Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Deciding this weekend whether to return the Hellcat or keep it

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #41
I’d keep it. Not having to pay sales tax on the buyout is +/-$3,000 value compared to another lease or purchase. I’m not sure about your state, but most states also give you credit for the trade-in value so you only pay tax on the balance if you decide on something else later.
No, we get screwed 8 ways from sunday. lol, all that tax paid for a lease up front and nearly everyone returns the cars/trucks. Free cash for the state (and credits for Chrysler and other manufacturers).

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #42

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Lease ends at end of month. USAA will loan at 3.69% on it because its "used." I'm going to throw a couple of thousand at it as well because I mis-remembered my residual, though it was 43.5 but is actually 45.5. No tax on the purchase (as noted elsewhere, in Texas full tax paid at lease inception, and credited to Chyrsler, but if you buy at the end, credited to you). That added 3.69% raised my payments $75, but so what.

Option two - return the car, pay whatever fees, etc... in two years, get Charger RE.

LR
What would you buy if you didn’t keep your Hellcat?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Man that’s a tough one. For me I couldn’t lease a car like this. I fell in love before my first one was delivered. That’s why I have 2. For me leasing this car would be like kissing your sister. What’s the point?😉

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I would buy yours.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Getting into a lease gives you lower payments and if you do decide you don't want to keep it, it can be easier to give it back then to sell it

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Oh Hell, I am used to that,,, that is why I am sitting here with my cat, 4 legged. I buy my cars for this particular reason. Now with women,,, it is definitely a lease. Cars I really get attached to and keep them from one residence to another and they ask no questions. And, and, and. Here comes a new thread. My car says,, we really don't need a passenger seat. Yea right, correct. If I had moe room, like my last 2 town homes and the 3rd one coming along. I could have kept the my last 2 hot rods. Got talked out keeping them. Just because I drove my daily driver thru the garage door and smashed it into the retaining wall that protects the town home across the street. I do not know why. But if I could have the room,,, kept em. Cause I needed another daily driver,, this ne got totaled and had to pay for the wall and new garage door. H/C no damage, but I had 3 days in jail to think and look for another car. Good to have great credit, cards, if no one will bail you out. So, I lost 2 spots there, 2 spots her, and 2 spots at another town home. Lease, couldn't do it.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Man that’s a tough one. For me I couldn’t lease a car like this. I fell in love before my first one was delivered. That’s why I have 2. For me leasing this car would be like kissing your sister. What’s the point?😉
Huh?

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
She is a beauty. Barring any mechanical or financial considerations I would keep her and trade in down the road. However, that GTO has to go...wonder how much it would cost to ship to California???

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
No pressure...but Greta wouldn't want you to keep her.

Greta.png
Seriously, let us know what you end up doing. Take care.

PJO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Louisville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
If keeping it is an option you would be happy with, you could then try to private sale it for some profit, assuming you don’t mind the risk, time, and hassle, then if you get your price, you are further along the path to the next one. If you don’t, then you are back to “happy with keeping it”.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Winner, winner, chicken dinner
Finally someone agrees with me!
So here is the big question? Are you craving more horse Power? Are you craving a new car? Or you have some issues like all of us here lol...& you want the new big badass release from Dodge?
Don’t get me wrong the charger wide body is a badass car. If your looking for HP it will be cheaper to modify it than buying a new car. Not saying you know this info already but from my experience I was lucky to even get into a Hellcat. Plus all the money I put into it.🙄 So I say detail it,ceramic coat it, and add 100hp to it or so and BAM you have a new ride!👍👍👍
Lol I’m over here just having a cocktail or 2 thinking about your situation. Don’t take it personal.....
plus you can always wrap it and BAM you have a new ride! Maybe some new shoes???? 👍👍👍💪🏻💪🏻👌👌

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #53
What would you buy if you didn’t keep your Hellcat?
Right now, probably nothing. Ride out all this business down turn stuff. If the Charger RE appears, maybe that. But I think they'll want a lot. You never know.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #54
If it was a poorly manufactured (and it sort of is) POS with driveablity and liveability issues, then I am out very little money to find that out and am not stuck with it. For me, that's worth a great deal.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #55
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #56
She is a beauty. Barring any mechanical or financial considerations I would keep her and trade in down the road. However, that GTO has to go...wonder how much it would cost to ship to California???
Not much. Few tanks of gas, one hotel and a plane ticket for me lol

EDIT: Train ticket. Or maybe rental car?

Last edited:
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #57
If keeping it is an option you would be happy with, you could then try to private sale it for some profit, assuming you don’t mind the risk, time, and hassle, then if you get your price, you are further along the path to the next one. If you don’t, then you are back to “happy with keeping it”.
To be perfectly honest, where I am at this very second is keep it. Dump cash into it (maybe) to get it to 750 or so to the wheels, and then just chill. However, here is the struggle. Nearest track to me is 80 miles plus. And I have young children. And 4 businesses. So, for me, this is chiefly a street car. What's the point in upping the power if it can't be effectively put down as it is? But that is whole other discussion.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #58
Finally someone agrees with me!
So here is the big question? Are you craving more horse Power? Are you craving a new car? Or you have some issues like all of us here lol...& you want the new big badass release from Dodge?
Don’t get me wrong the charger wide body is a badass car. If your looking for HP it will be cheaper to modify it than buying a new car. Not saying you know this info already but from my experience I was lucky to even get into a Hellcat. Plus all the money I put into it.🙄 So I say detail it,ceramic coat it, and add 100hp to it or so and BAM you have a new ride!👍👍👍
Lol I’m over here just having a cocktail or 2 thinking about your situation. Don’t take it personal.....
plus you can always wrap it and BAM you have a new ride! Maybe some new shoes???? 👍👍👍💪🏻💪🏻👌👌
lol, already got the ceramic coat, the expel tint, 20 x 11s in the rear with 305s on them (need 345s). So, wash the car, and keep experimenting with traction solutions (since our launch control is laughable). We shall see.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #59
Another data point that might interest some - USAA was willing to loan like $57,400 on the car.

EDIT - reread that communication - that is the max amount they were willing to loan on any used car, not just the Hellcat, without further information.

Last edited:

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Magnified
If it's time for a new car, do it. Nothing else will satisfy you. The GTO got old and you got the Hellcat. Turning back the Hellcat and driving the GTO will get old fast. Life is short. You could die tomorrow. Deny yourself nothing my friend.