Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Getting off the line. Help!

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #261
Dang yeah that seems very similar to what my best runs are. I wonder why some people are saying I should be faster especially in my mph and dyno

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Some years ago, before much was available for these things, I started out with the typical E85 pulley build and tune with otherwise stock motor. 2016 Hellcat. Build was a +10 crank with a 2.65 Griptec, ID-1300 injectors, off-road mid, DSS 4” driveshaft, 3.09 rear, RaceStar frontrunners and 17x9.5 rears with M/T ET-R’s. We saw 916whp at about 1500’ with this combination using a trunk mounted icebox to control IAT. That was very good back then. That combination at 1500+ da ran 144 mph in the 9.6 second range. Car was 4500 lbs. 643937D1-739E-44BA-B65D-BA45396132E4.jpeg

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #263
Some years ago, before much was available for these things, I started out with the typical E85 pulley build and tune with otherwise stock motor. 2016 Hellcat. Build was a +10 crank with a 2.65 Griptec, ID-1300 injectors, off-road mid, DSS 4” driveshaft, 3.09 rear, RaceStar frontrunners and 17x9.5 rears with M/T ET-R’s. We saw 916whp at about 1500’ with this combination using a trunk mounted icebox to control IAT. That was very good back then. That combination at 1500+ da ran 144 mph in the 9.6 second range. Car was 4500 lbs. View attachment 107363
Yea see im essentially the same elevation as you. So why r u making 80 more horses and 6/10ths quicker. Makes no sense. That makes me feel like something is wrong

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Yea see im essentially the same elevation as you. So why r u making 80 more horses and 6/10ths quicker. Makes no sense. That makes me feel like something is wrong
That’s why a few here questioned whether you may have something preventing yours from being all it should be and offering thoughts to help. I look at quarter mph to judge what’s going on under the hood. Starting line variables have a huge impact on et. Differences with dyno’s can skew numbers. But the finish line speed with da factored in don’t lie.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #265
That’s why a few here questioned whether you may have something preventing yours from being all it should be and offering thoughts to help. I look at quarter mph to judge what’s going on under the hood. Starting line variables have a huge impact on et. Differences with dyno’s can skew numbers. But the finish line speed with da factored in don’t lie.
My fastest mph was 134. I guess we will see on 17th when i go back after all this work has been done

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Your MPH should technically be a tad higher like 138ish but DA plays a roll in that as well as getting off the throttle for tire spin etc. I know some of your logs showed you were letting off the gas or if the throttle is doing something weird.

If you make a full pass with the 2.7x pulley and Jon's tune on E85 and only run 134mph in anything less than +2000 DA then your car is just not making the steam it should be, else all is well. I agree with Marc that MPH doesn't lie.

I went to a 2.7L Redeye supercharger worked over by SDG Motorsports with a 2.85 upper stock lower and picked up 6-7mph. I was shocked.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #267
Well we will definetly get the new uogrades and tuned out and then run it and see.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #268
Ok don't bust my chops too much.... But this was my first time ever on a dyno with a car. Usually do bikes. So i was reading up about dynos and numbers.... Lemme ask..

How much a percentage would you estimate that i lost on reported power because i ran my 15in mt et street pros on the dyno?

Last edited:

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Yep it did dip. Weird thing it didnt happen until after you pulled the blower. Cant believe the 2.78 would suck it closed. But it did.
1685980916883.png

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Sounds like a lemon, I would just part it out. Just kidding, hopefully you get it sorted. I run a 2.69 and have zero issues, so strange

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #271
alright so its been a minute. figured id take a break of just get to work on it. last night was track day. since last track day Jon and I fixed the BPV that was leaking. swapped out injectors to bigger ones and got them dialed in. unfortunately my 10% lower didnt come in until the day of racing so i opted to wait on the install.

Attached on some of my track slips.

Something is wrong with this thing and I cant figure it out. Im actually a touch slower than previously. (previous was 10.2 current 10.3).
my 60fts were 1.5
i ran into Epling and his son and they talked with me, and suggested i leave in 2nd gear with a 3.09 rear and let her eat. as you can see by the last slip, it just blew the tires off. I was up against a 93 pump gas 2.85 upper hellcat and couldn't run him down. I'm dynoing 832whp. Something just seems off.

Epling also suggested a different torque convertor/stall. What are your thoughts on this? I'm sure it could help me off the line but that doesnt change overall power being made. I didnt trap any higher than 135mph.

additionally I swapped out my 2.55 upper for a 2.72 upper just to see if im possibly making too much heat. The logs show with both pulleys IAT stayed under 100 degrees. So I dont think thats the issue. Help me out guys and gals.

Attachments

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #272
Additionally Id like to pick the brains of the gurus. I have 2150 injectors, because I was planning to get a whipple. With all the talk of them blowing up and eating themselves, not to mention the nightmare of getting one dialed in nicely, would I be better off just getting a 2.7l blower, race porting, race upgrade, throw a TB on it and be done? What about the new 3.0l that comes on the Demon 170?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
alright so its been a minute. figured id take a break of just get to work on it. last night was track day. since last track day Jon and I fixed the BPV that was leaking. swapped out injectors to bigger ones and got them dialed in. unfortunately my 10% lower didnt come in until the day of racing so i opted to wait on the install.

Attached on some of my track slips.

Something is wrong with this thing and I cant figure it out. Im actually a touch slower than previously. (previous was 10.2 current 10.3).
my 60fts were 1.5
i ran into Epling and his son and they talked with me, and suggested i leave in 2nd gear with a 3.09 rear and let her eat. as you can see by the last slip, it just blew the tires off. I was up against a 93 pump gas 2.85 upper hellcat and couldn't run him down. I'm dynoing 832whp. Something just seems off.

Epling also suggested a different torque convertor/stall. What are your thoughts on this? I'm sure it could help me off the line but that doesnt change overall power being made. I didnt trap any higher than 135mph.

additionally I swapped out my 2.55 upper for a 2.72 upper just to see if im possibly making too much heat. The logs show with both pulleys IAT stayed under 100 degrees. So I dont think thats the issue. Help me out guys and gals.
I see part of your problem. Thunder Valley. From what I understand the prep is really bad these days?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I’ve not gone through all the pages but just read your IAT was 100 degree. What’s the pulley combo? Ambient? Ice tank? Etc.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #275
I’ve not gone through all the pages but just read your IAT was 100 degree. What’s the pulley combo? Ambient? Ice tank? Etc.
IATS usually stay 100 or less.
2.55 upper. Stock pinned lower.
BMR ice tank
Interchiller Stage 2
Blower spacers and blanket

Member ID
Reactions
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
IATS usually stay 100 or less.
2.55 upper. Stock pinned lower.
BMR ice tank
Interchiller Stage 2
Blower spacers and blanket
might want to see when the throttle fully opens in the log. How much timing is being pulled on the launch etc. how’s the track condition? Can it take the full power on the launch or etc

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #278
Where are you reading the whipples being a nightmare to get dialed in? @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC had no issue tuning my whipple
Well Jon and I have been chasing issue for over a month now, and Im on a stock motor stock blower. Just listening to what he has to say about chasing further issues trying to dial it in is where I draw that conclusion. Im ok with that though as long as Jon is willing to take it on. My biggest concern with the whipple is reliability. Jon and I have discussed they are certainly more capable and efficient, but I dont want to soak 8-10k into a blower just to have it grenade its self. I draw that conclusion just from reading other people with whipples and seeing their luck with them. I even called whipple to discuss it, and they were saying all these guys have issues because theyre putting nitrous plates on them, other than that, theyre solid. Again, I keep reading and researching and Im just met with countless horror stories of them exploding. Maybe this was early on and their newer ones are revised and much better? How about the new 3.8l whipple? Id be interested in that but again, dont need to blowing up unnecessarily.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Need to look at your throttle body closing. I know after you replaced the bov it sucked the throttle body closed. I only looked at your log for about 5 minutes but it looked like it was starting to close a little. As far the prep. I can give you another soft launch updated got the new injectors but if you are wanting the mid 9s in 3500 da it is going to take a good 60 ft.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #280
Need to look at your throttle body closing. I know after you replaced the bov it sucked the throttle body closed. I only looked at your log for about 5 minutes but it looked like it was starting to close a little. As far the prep. I can give you another soft launch updated got the new injectors but if you are wanting the mid 9s in 3500 da it is going to take a good 60 ft.
Which brings me to my next question. I cant do much about DA and it was 3500 here yesterday. I could always use more seat time and get better off the line. thats a given. Would a different torque convertor/stall speed help with this? I only ask because that was a big thing Epling and son was suggesting to me yesterday. If it is a good option that which one/speed?