Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

PPF Hack Job?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 392 Daytona
When I purchased my 2019 Charger I had a front wrap of PPF installed. Bumper and half fenders/hood. Paid 1100 for it.

When I picked up the car my heart sunk to my knees. It just was not what I expected at all. The film was cut oddly on the lower front spoiler and several large spots were not protected at all. In addition, the film ended several mm away from the leading edges across the whole install.

My question is, for those of you who have had PPF added to your Charger (Hellcat/SRT/392), can you post pictures of the details? Here's some examples of what it looks like on my Charger and I'd love to put my mind at ease that it's normal for the amount paid or if I need to go back to the installer.

Thanks!

IMG_0262.jpeg IMG_0261.jpeg IMG_0263.jpeg IMG_0264.jpeg

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
That's horrible.....everywhere. Take more pictures and take this shop owner to court to get your money back. I wouldn't give this shop a second chance at it.

EDIT: My disclaimer - I know you were asking those that have had PPF done...and I haven't ....but if they were all like that, I never would.... I've seen plenty of good installs and you could hardly tell unless you really look hard.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don't have a Charger to post pictures of, but I can say that in my opinion, that is flat out a bad job.

And I hate to point this out, but I'm pretty sure I see a knife strike in the last image you posted. That makes me think that with work like this, you might have an installer that fully penetrated the film into the paint all along the edges?

I'm sorry, it's making me sick to my stomach to even think about it.

Best of luck...

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
When I purchased my 2019 Charger I had a front wrap of PPF installed. Bumper and half fenders/hood. Paid 1100 for it.

When I picked up the car my heart sunk to my knees. It just was not what I expected at all. The film was cut oddly on the lower front spoiler and several large spots were not protected at all. In addition, the film ended several mm away from the leading edges across the whole install.

My question is, for those of you who have had PPF added to your Charger (Hellcat/SRT/392), can you post pictures of the details? Here's some examples of what it looks like on my Charger and I'd love to put my mind at ease that it's normal for the amount paid or if I need to go back to the installer.

Thanks!

View attachment 4557 View attachment 4558 View attachment 4559 View attachment 4561
Shawn,

I can tell you now that this PPF job is totally unacceptable. :mad: Obviously, the installer did not use a computer controlled cutter to cut the film exactly as needed.

The PPF should go to the each body panel edge at least and wrap the edge if at all possible so that no PPF edges are visible.

This has to be the worse PPF install I have ever seen. Get your money back and go somewhere else.

Give them a little of this in the process.

Bunp.gif

This kind of workmanship turns my stomach. It doesn't even come close to professional. Shameful... SMH

Just awful, I'm sorry to say.. :(

OBC

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't have a Charger to post pictures of, but I can say that in my opinion, that is flat out a bad job.

And I hate to point this out, but I'm pretty sure I see a knife strike in the last image you posted. That makes me think that with work like this, you might have an installer that fully penetrated the film into the paint all along the edges?

I'm sorry, it's making me sick to my stomach to even think about it.

Best of luck...
Took the words right out of my mouth, BULL.

That is just ridiculous.

As you said, I hope the installer didn't cut the paint in the process.

Removing this crappy film install and starting over might be the least of Shawn's worries at this point.

Getting his money back and needing paint repairs could be a real PITA.

OBC

OP
ShawnB
Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 392 Daytona
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys - this was the sanity check I needed. I will update this thread as I beat through the process!

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
That's horrible.....everywhere. Take more pictures and take this shop owner to court to get your money back. I wouldn't give this shop a second chance at it.

EDIT: My disclaimer - I know you were asking those that have had PPF done...and I haven't ....but if they were all like that, I never would.... I've seen plenty of good installs and you could hardly tell unless you really look hard.
DITTO Confuzed.

Go somewhere else. Get some recommendations from folks on this forum which have had PPF installed in your area.

Recommendations for trusted installers are essential for PPF installs and this example is the reason why that is so important.

OBC

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You could have ordered a pre-cut kit off ebay for $300 and applied it yourself with better results !!
I'd demand my $$ back. As others pointed out, since he cut this by hand, I hope he didn't score/cut the paint too !!

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks guys - this was the sanity check I needed. I will update this thread as I beat through the process!

You're sanity and general thoughts check out. It that installer that is totally f*cked up if they think for one minute that :poop: job is acceptable.

6t1.gif

My son had his 2013 392 PPF install done several years ago when the material was not as good as it is today, and you can't even tell where it has been applied in most places unless he tells you exactly where it is.

Had my 2019 Jeep done as well by the same installer. Perfect.

When I finish the ceramic coat on the RE, that will go to the same installer as well.

Great stuff when done correctly.

Good luck with this.

OBC

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
PPF by Stevie Wonder ,that’s hideous ,I hope it comes off ok,did you pay them?

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
You could have ordered a pre-cut kit off ebay for $300 and applied it yourself with better results !!
I'd demand my $$ back. As others pointed out, since he cut this by hand, I hope he didn't score/cut the paint too !!
Nailed it... Mike,
755t.gif 5PV.gif N3qt.gif 2dWf.gif

This kind of stuff just makes my blood boil.

1JqT.gif

OBC

OP
ShawnB
Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 392 Daytona
Thread Starter #12
Did it through the dealer - huge mistake I know and now I have to deal with multiple parties to get whole again. It's worth it to me now that I've seen the opinions of my peers. I really had no reference point to go off.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle

Meet the installers...

cant see shit.gif crazy eyes.gif

OBC

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
What did the dealer say?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Wow! A dealer had this sourced and that's the best he could do? My 4 year old grandkid would have done better, definitely take it back and DEMAND they take care of getting it done correctly, INCLUDING any potential damage done by inept installation. Sorry you have to go through this, just another example of lack of qualifications trying to skate by.....UNACCEPTABLE!

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
brainhurts.gif

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
My charger is PPF'd on the front and looks A LOT cleaner than yours. I don't really have up close pictures but can take some if you need?

I also paid the same amount as you did. My film is pretty flush with the edges. There are a couple areas where it looks like the film was cut oddly, but I'm assuming it was done to mold under the front plate mount/bar that was hard to reach. It's a non-impact zone and no one can see it and I'm just nitpicking.

I would address the issue to those guys and give them a chance to remedy it before you take legal action. Maybe they were having a rushed day or something and sped through the process. If it still looks like shit after they attempted to fix the issue, then I would go from there.

Also, did this job come with a labor warranty?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
@ShawnB DO YOU WANT ME GO CHUCK NORRIS ON THEY ASS I’ve been told I look like him lol 67A53A5A-D334-4639-886B-7E01C19B3892.gif

OP
ShawnB
Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 392 Daytona
Thread Starter #20
@ShawnB DO YOU WANT ME GO CHUCK NORRIS ON THEY ASS I’ve been told I look like him lol
You really do look like him!