Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Sad Sad Day my SUPER STOCK IS DOA

UNDER PRESSURE

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Tan Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 DODGE CHALLENGER REDEYE SUPER STOCK
Hello all... I just recently purchased my frostbite 2021 Super Stock last month that I ordered March of 2021. I was taking a buddy for a ride in the car nothing crazy and he noticed a sound coming through the cabin. We got out opened the hood and he said I have a bearing going out he couldn't say which one. So with that I went to the dealership and sure as s@#@ rear main bearing spun. So now I am waiting for the approval for a new motor that will basically make the car worth squat. I don't know if its just me and what I have seen coming out of dodge but ever since the merger the cars are not holding together. My only real question would be on the replacement motor would they use a true super stock motor set up or the standard redeye? I guess you wouldn't really know for sure until a dyno pull then what. Sooooooo Pi$$ed

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
That’s terrible. I hope you can get some resolution quickly. @DodgeCares I have really been hearing some horror stories lately w new models

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Someone will correct me if Im wrong but the SS motor is the same as the Redeye. the extra HP comes from revving it 100 rpm higher and thats ECU related. The rest is electronics not engine related. You likely wont take much of a hit for a factory new R&R on the motor if any. Doubt the merger has anything to do with the QC. Id say its more covid related with the workforce prob being overworked to get stuff out the door.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Hello all... I just recently purchased my frostbite 2021 Super Stock last month that I ordered March of 2021. I was taking a buddy for a ride in the car nothing crazy and he noticed a sound coming through the cabin. We got out opened the hood and he said I have a bearing going out he couldn't say which one. So with that I went to the dealership and sure as s@#@ rear main bearing spun. So now I am waiting for the approval for a new motor that will basically make the car worth squat. I don't know if its just me and what I have seen coming out of dodge but ever since the merger the cars are not holding together. My only real question would be on the replacement motor would they use a true super stock motor set up or the standard redeye? I guess you wouldn't really know for sure until a dyno pull then what. Sooooooo Pi$$ed
That's almost an impossibility. From what I understand the RE and SS are the same motor. They supposedly run these (the RE's anyway) for 45min's for break in before being released for assembly line install. Only way you could get a bearing knock is no oil on start up or just flat abuse. Like start up, ice cold, neutral drop at max rpm before break-in type abuse. If engine was machined wrong it should've been caught on the 'supposed' 45min break in. How many miles on it when picked up? That is just crazy!!! and TOTALLY unacceptable! I would be totally pissed and disappointed also. Sorry to hear this has happened on any car but especially on a dream car like this.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
That’s terrible. I hope you can get some resolution quickly. @DodgeCares I have really been hearing some horror stories lately w new models
This story is just crazy and sad. What other horror stories are you hear'n?

Last edited:
OP
U

UNDER PRESSURE

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Tan Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 DODGE CHALLENGER REDEYE SUPER STOCK
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys. No abuse in fact I followed the break in requirements to the letter and was confirmed with their history scan. When my car was delivered it had .3 miles on the clock. All fluid levels checked out in fact you could still see through the oil that was in it. No cold start here in AZ 110 in my garage. I haven't had much of a chance to get her legs stretched out since 1500miles on the click, she has been in the shop for a miss aligned fender and wheel flare and the red leather passenger seat had to be re-ordered due to a manufacturing flaw. As to Coolblue's question I know of a guy who took delivery of the new H/C Durango, and the oil pressure lines blew off and locked the motor he had it a week. I have had 2 other H/C's with 0 issues and the first one I punished. Nothing not one problem except for needing a new belt and over 40k on each of them. I just find it curious that when the SRT division was in tact hardly heard of anyone with motor issues unless they were cracked into and over boosted. Just needed to vent !!!! Now I am stuck driving a POS Chevy basic B#### Malibu for god knows how long.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
The ink has barely dried on the merger. Nothing operationally has changed on either side of that deal yet except the name on the door. Even when SRT was its own 'separate' division the manufacturing process has always been the same. HC engines are built in Mexico along with all other V8s and shipped to the assembly plants where they are installed just the same as all the other boring-ass vehicle going down the same line. Covid related labor issues/shortages as well as supplier issues are likely to blame for a lot of the problems that have cropped up for the past year or so. I know Covid is a convenient scapegoat for everything, but Mexico had it even worse than we did as far as absenteeism. Despite what many people believe, in a lot of the machining/assembly jobs you can't just throw a warm body with no experience (and little to no training) in the work station and expect everything will be A-OK, and that's what they've been forced to do in a lot of cases.

Definitely sucks you had such a major failure, but they'll make it right.

Last edited:

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
This story is just crazy and sad. What other horror stories are you hear'n?
Some members on here having issues, a few with trans are coming to mind, others cosmetic. Just seems like when people are posting problems lately it’s been with newer models. Maybe it’s just me

Member ID
Reactions
City
webster
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
Not that uncommon for vehicles to have major component failure early on. More common for failures in the first few thousand miles then say 10K miles. I always mod everything but wait until 2-3K before modding, most mfg/assembly defects will show up very early in a components life cycle. I bought a brand 08' GMC Sierra with a 5.3 that had a catastrophic engine failure at 900 miles. Engine was replaced and I sold that truck with 260K miles and never had any additional problems from that truck at all.
I don't think the engine replacement will hurt the long term value of the car, it's not like you were in an accident. Mechanical components can be replaced with equal to new components. Body work is a lot more subjective and personally I'm not comfortable buying cars that have had body work.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Sorry to hear, I was seriously thinking about selling them back my 2016 with 21000 miles for a profit and getting another one but I’ll be having second thoughts now

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Yeah, me too, shame

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thanks guys. No abuse in fact I followed the break in requirements to the letter and was confirmed with their history scan. When my car was delivered it had .3 miles on the clock. All fluid levels checked out in fact you could still see through the oil that was in it. No cold start here in AZ 110 in my garage. I haven't had much of a chance to get her legs stretched out since 1500miles on the click, she has been in the shop for a miss aligned fender and wheel flare and the red leather passenger seat had to be re-ordered due to a manufacturing flaw. As to Coolblue's question I know of a guy who took delivery of the new H/C Durango, and the oil pressure lines blew off and locked the motor he had it a week. I have had 2 other H/C's with 0 issues and the first one I punished. Nothing not one problem except for needing a new belt and over 40k on each of them. I just find it curious that when the SRT division was in tact hardly heard of anyone with motor issues unless they were cracked into and over boosted. Just needed to vent !!!! Now I am stuck driving a POS Chevy basic B#### Malibu for god knows how long.
Man that really blows...sounds like you got a friday afternoon just before quittin time build...I would be more than bummed had it been my car....lets just hope things get straightened out quickly:(:(

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Hi UNDER PRESSURE,
We sincerely regret to hear of all the trouble that has been associated with your ownership experience. If it would be of interest, we'd be happy to learn more details regarding your dealer's findings to determine how to best assist you. Please follow up with us via private message when you can.

Rob
Dodge Cares

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Hi ACMAVRO,
Thank you for the tag!

Rob
Dodge Cares

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
Dude that truly sucks I hope they go above and beyond for your trouble. as far as the engine it is the same as redeye it's the PCM that has different calibration that allows 100more rpms at redline I believe. we just dynoed one here with 700miles on it 762rwhp was result

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Watching

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Dude that truly sucks I hope they go above and beyond for your trouble. as far as the engine it is the same as redeye it's the PCM that has different calibration that allows 100more rpms at redline I believe. we just dynoed one here with 700miles on it 762rwhp was result
Nice!!! Not to threadjack here, but do you know what gear that dyno pull was done in? My redeye made 753 rwhp at 6400 rpms in 5th gear fwiw....

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
done in 6th

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I would not accept a replacement motor. Try to go the lemon law route, getting a lawyer if need be. Make them take the car back. IMO, a high performance, limited edition car like the SS -will- take a future hit with a non-numbers matching replacement block. Why should you absorb a secondary deflationary hit that had nothing to do with you and was 100% due to poor craftsmanship

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Sorry to hear about your SS brother. I hope you get it sorted out.