Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

TNREDEYE '21 REWB

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yes, I have to agree with feller Tennsseans,, can't under stand a damn word after 3 am. But transfered to Fl back in 1981 with my Shovel Pan and Chevell 396 big block,, I wood never exspect any of you critters to under go any thing I wood say. Any body pulling a massive nutt from Chattanooga to get er any wayzer. I will be upster that way in Oct November with my hell ashould be ster cat. Vister a brotha in Atlantster and gal friends in Chattwnoogster. Wish to meetster ,, let me knowster. Gal griendisters. And maybe ex wife.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #62
Ok, that one kind of scares me.. I actually think I understood some of it!! :giggle:

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #63
2fast4u brought up the Hoosier DOT radial. I have zero experience w them and don't know anyone that does have any. I like that it's sized in 325/45-18.
Do any of you guys have any drag strip experience w them? I'm looking for some ride around tires for the '21 that will still do a good job at the track.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...45R8DDR2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
2fast4u brought up the Hoosier DOT radial. I have zero experience w them and don't know anyone that does have any. I like that it's sized in 325/45-18.
Do any of you guys have any drag strip experience w them? I'm looking for some ride around tires for the '21 that will still do a good job at the track.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...45R8DDR2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
My Friend Walter ran that tire almost exclusively on his Demon. And he tried a lot of other tires. He always ran it exacly at 19.4 PSI before going out to the water box. He did massive burnouts. He has since tried the smaller DBR tire 28X10.5R18 and I think he likes it better.

I think if you want a true DOT tire then you would be better off with an ET STREET R. That Hoosier DOT is a cheater tire. It's for racing purposes only and just happens to have the DOT on it. With the 18" limitation in mind, I would run the Mickey Thompsons as long as you are not going to go for big power. If you are , then I might use the 325/45 as it is wider and taller and will calm the car down a bit and likely hook a little better. But if you are going for big power, then you should invest in wheels/tires/15" conversion etc.

Keep in mind I had zero issues with the 305/45R18's on my Demon and Super Stock when on a properly prepped track.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #65
The car has its 500 mile oil change.
The 315/50-17's are on.
Heading to Music City in a few hours to make a few runs. If it'll go down without a shift hiccup and maybe go 6.60/6.70 I'll be happy.
I just hope the differences between the '19 controls and the '21 controls are easy enough for me to get used to.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I just click the SRT button once and come up on the SRT Dashboard. From there I enable the Power Chiller and then select Track Mode at the top of the page. Only difference is you will be slecting Custom Mode.

I think it will come up on the last page visited. So if you go to the Drive mode page it may return there next time. Just switch to the Dashboard and I am hoping it will set it up for the future.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #67
Thanks for the info Ron. Turns out, it was only minimally different from my other car and it didn't cause me any mental hiccups.
Here's sort of some bullet point things from the outing..

1 - The car didn't et great, but the track had all sorts of vehicles on it(4wd's, minivans, etc) so they couldn't exactly keep it well groomed. Sixty footed low 1.5x's and ran between 6.95-6.97 on the four passes I made. All in all I have no complaints about the et since my '19 started off life even slower than that and now it's badass.

2 - 1-2 Shift --- There is no 1-2 hiccup but the car shifts HARD. It does that rattle the tires thing on every pass. Based on how Rons car looks in his in car video I'll say the shift of my car is similarly hard to Rons SS. It is nowhere near as smooth as a factory car should be on a wide open shift. I doubt I'll be comfortable leaving the shift this way. It will break something running in like this.

3 - The car averaged 20.6 mpg on the way to the track. :)

4 - Toward the end of the outing the car began to idle rough and the check engine light came on. Fortunately a new friend that is a Dodge tech was there(running his wife's Trackhawk). He had his scanner with him and offered to pull the codes. It was P0307 "misfire on #3 cylinder". So we called it a night, aired up the rear tires and headed home.
I had to stop for gas. I shut the car off while there and when I restarted it it rolled some pretty good smoke out the tailpipe. If I had to guess I'd say that was fuel and it has an injector stuck somewhat open.

In all last night was more about finding out if the car would go start to finish without the dreaded hiccup. As a bone stock car it seems to be ok. I do not like the 1-2 shift and I certainly am worried about the #3 cylinder deal. Otherwise I suppose it's fair to call it a pretty decent first outing.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thanks for the info Ron. Turns out, it was only minimally different from my other car and it didn't cause me any mental hiccups.
Here's sort of some bullet point things from the outing..

1 - The car didn't et great, but the track had all sorts of vehicles on it(4wd's, minivans, etc) so they couldn't exactly keep it well groomed. Sixty footed low 1.5x's and ran between 6.95-6.97 on the four passes I made. All in all I have no complaints about the et since my '19 started off life even slower than that and now it's badass.

2 - 1-2 Shift --- There is no 1-2 hiccup but the car shifts HARD. It does that rattle the tires thing on every pass. Based on how Rons car looks in his in car video I'll say the shift of my car is similarly hard to Rons SS. It is nowhere near as smooth as a factory car should be on a wide open shift. I doubt I'll be comfortable leaving the shift this way. It will break something running in like this.

3 - The car averaged 20.6 mpg on the way to the track. :)

4 - Toward the end of the outing the car began to idle rough and the check engine light came on. Fortunately a new friend that is a Dodge tech was there(running his wife's Trackhawk). He had his scanner with him and offered to pull the codes. It was P0307 "misfire on #3 cylinder". So we called it a night, aired up the rear tires and headed home.
I had to stop for gas. I shut the car off while there and when I restarted it it rolled some pretty good smoke out the tailpipe. If I had to guess I'd say that was fuel and it has an injector stuck somewhat open.

In all last night was more about finding out if the car would go start to finish without the dreaded hiccup. As a bone stock car it seems to be ok. I do not like the 1-2 shift and I certainly am worried about the #3 cylinder deal. Otherwise I suppose it's fair to call it a pretty decent first outing.
So, it seems with all my complaining and all the feedback I gave FCA and JW they maybe gave the 2021 standard RedEye the new shift programming. I 100% would rather lay down a hard shift than some silly massive hiccup. I think to get the car to shift just in time, without using up all the head room approaching the rev limiter, they have to shift it hard. I think that hard shift will calm down. I pretty much did not notice it after a while and do not recall it doing it much if at all at Red List (>10 passes).

I hope that #3 cylinder is ok.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #69
So, it seems with all my complaining and all the feedback I gave FCA and JW they maybe gave the 2021 standard RedEye the new shift programming. I 100% would rather lay down a hard shift than some silly massive hiccup. I think to get the car to shift just in time, without using up all the head room approaching the rev limiter, they have to shift it hard. I think that hard shift will calm down. I pretty much did not notice it after a while and do not recall it doing it much if at all at Red List (>10 passes).

I hope that #3 cylinder is ok.
I agree about the shift if there were only two options. My '19 seems to be the right combination of firm shift but no hiccup. To me it's a shame they couldn't just make them all shift like my '19. I hope it does settle down because it's big time harsh right now.

I dropped it off at the dealership yesterday. At a glance it seems pretty clear that it has an injector not shutting completely off. Rough idle, smokes on restart(that lazy gray smoke from fuel) but runs smoothly at road rpms. The Service Mgr seemed to think it was no big deal. We'll see...

Regardless, I suppose at this point I think it's smartest to run it stock for a while to develop some level of trust in the affected cylinder. It would SUCK to go ahead with the E85 conversion and find out the hard way that that hole isn't happy. Better to break it while the warranty is intact.

And I still haven't received my '20 SS brake parts from Steve White...

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I agree about the shift if there were only two options. My '19 seems to be the right combination of firm shift but no hiccup. To me it's a shame they couldn't just make them all shift like my '19. I hope it does settle down because it's big time harsh right now.

I dropped it off at the dealership yesterday. At a glance it seems pretty clear that it has an injector not shutting completely off. Rough idle, smokes on restart(that lazy gray smoke from fuel) but runs smoothly at road rpms. The Service Mgr seemed to think it was no big deal. We'll see...

Regardless, I suppose at this point I think it's smartest to run it stock for a while to develop some level of trust in the affected cylinder. It would SUCK to go ahead with the E85 conversion and find out the hard way that that hole isn't happy. Better to break it while the warranty is intact.

And I still haven't received my '20 SS brake parts from Steve White...
It might be a pain, but maybe do a compression and leakdown check before moving on. Of course they may not do anything about it even if you can show that cylinder is down. Sometimes if it does not meet certain criteria they call it good and will not budge.

That sucks the brake parts are not there. I assumed they were and you were running the Skinnies.

So, at Irwindale the car was shifting hard to second. I guess I just got used to it or maybe the Dealer reset the Adaptives and it needs to re learn. But I like it. So I would never tune this out. In reality maybe it is not as hard as that Video. I think on that pass the car really was learning. The thing about your 19 is, it is likely short shifting 1-2. The current Gen they want to shift at an actual 6300 or 6400 on the 1-2 shift. For that to happen and without increasing the RPM potential of the motor, they have to shift it hard.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Having the engine out for 2 years,, I took out the 5 year warranty, but... Learned alot. Very few modificatios can be made with out voiding the warranty. Straight from the dudes up north and here in Florida's dealerships. There are only a very few performance modifications you can do that does not void IT. I stepped on y dick and got away with at least $30,000 worth of rework under warranty situations. Beeez careful.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #72
The dealer did a basic injector clean and reset the codes. It idles good and the code did not reset. They sent the info to Chrysler too. They looked it over and suggested a follow up test drive w the computer hooked up to monitor pressures and such. That info was sent to Chrysler and it was given a clean bill of health.
According to them it is back idling smoothly and doesn't smoke on initial start up.

I'll get over there in the next day or two and see for myself.

And my stuff from Steve White still didn't show up...

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Good to hear the car seems to be running right. I would drive it every day or every other day for the next week, make sure it stays in good running condition. Good luck.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #74
I just returned from picking the car up. It's an hour drive, some of it at slower speeds and other parts a bit faster. I called on it some, drove it easy some.. just generally put it through its paces. All seems good.
The smoke at startup is completely gone. The idle quality is better than it's ever been. This car has always idled a bit rougher than my '19 but I didn't think much of it. Now that the apparent trash has been removed from the offending injector it idles just as smoothly as its older sibling.
All in all I'm feeling better...

And yes Eric, I'll be putting some miles on it in the coming days to find out if it stays good. Time permitting I may even put the DR's back on it and go run it at Music City this evening.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #75
I now have 3 beat up boxes sitting in the floor from FedEx. It took them 2 days to actually get all 3 boxes here. :rolleyes:
So.. it looks like I'll be pulling some wheels off soon and diving in. I suspect I'll know more about Redeye/SS brakes soon that I EVER really wanted to.

Question: is the rear caster adjustable on these cars without replacing the arms? This car clearly has a LOT of negative camber(visibly more than my '19) and obviously that will need correcting soon.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #76
😀👍

20210414_140906.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What are your intentions for the old stuff?

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #79
What are your intentions for the old stuff?
It's a little early in the game for me to have any given that any thought. I typically just keep anything I remove from either car in case I decide at some point in the future to put things back to original.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #80
What was the weight difference?
I didn't weigh the SS rotors and calipers. By the time I was ready for those parts I had getting the car back in one piece on my mind.
I did weigh the stock rotors and caliper though. The rotor weighs 33 lbs and the caliper(pads and hardware) weight 11.5 lbs.

I got the last of it buttoned up today and took it for a test drive. It drives fine and I see no reason to think the pre '21 knuckles and the '21 lower arms aren't compatible.